Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.

I get mine from eggcartons.com and depending on how many you need, could probably give you some. They look like this:

Robin - if you have enough, could I buy 8 from you? Only if you have enough. Would $10 cover the cost? Between now and Christmas I want to deliver eggs to the neighbors that completely surround my house as a goodwill gesture for them putting up with my birds singing their lovely egg songs.

oh you are making me so hungry !!!!!!!!!!!
droolin.gif

I have a big pot of chicken soup I made so after that is gone, and DH gets back, we will have the Ranch Beans....let me know how yours turn out....
And are you going to do bisquits or tortillas ?

My next test recipe is bisquits...using my "home made" gluten free flour.
I was going to do cornbread - but now you have me thinking GF biscuits - somewhere I have an excellent recipe...

The beans were still rock-hard after soaking them overnight, so I let them soak most of the day today as well this evening I made the chilli base to cook the beans in - smells wonderful! Instead of cooking stove-top as in the recipe, I dumped it all in by crock-pot, used a stick-blender to blend the chilli base smooth, and then added the beans. If it cooks properly overnight, the kids will get a thermos of it for school lunch toorrow along with a couple of biscuits, a little cheese, and the canned peaches I still have left from last year.

Wow, I feel your pain. I have only a fraction of the rocks that you have, but it makes everything a pain in the butt! Every shovel full of dirt comes up with rocks, and I've dug ones as big as grapefruit out of my yard. When we bought the house, I had only gardened in Texas and Nebraska, and we figured somebody really liked to collect rocks. Why else would there be big piles of them along the fence lines and in decorative pots???

Jennifer

LOL! Because they're too exhausted to get rid of them.

Tonight I had a breakthrough/mid-life crisis moment where I finally realized I just have to give up the dream of growing edibles in with ornamentals the permaculture way. It's just not going to happen. My dropping a screen full of rocks on top of both my feet sealed the deal. I told my husband that I'm giving up and we're bringing back the grass. The neighbors will be happier, and I will be more relaxed about it. Four years of fighting this is enough. I'm just plum tuckered out.

CL.... I'm gonna be contacting you about those boxes. I need to ask my husband something about how we might transport them, but I have an idea. I'll PM ya soon!

If you live near Seattle, there are people (like me) who will come and take some of your rocks away for you--list them on Craigslist and Freecycle. I have been doing a lot of rock work in my yard this year and so far have managed to get almost all of it for free.

I can certainly list them. It never occurred to me that anyone would ever want to come and haul rocks away.

DH was not happy with me tonight after I accidentally overfilled the wheelbarrow and couldn't lift it. He struggled to lift it, too, and could barely get the rocks across the street and over the cliff. If I could find people to haul away part or all of that huge pile, we'd both be very, very happy!

I'm out-a here. I have to get up early tomorrow.

Tomorrow I need to see if I can watch Drama try to go in the nest box. She laid her egg smack dab in the middle of the coop floor today. She's never done that before. I'm hoping she hasn't outgrown the nest box openings. We expanded those openings as much as we possibly could for her - there is no way to make them any bigger than they are. She's a chunk. I carried my girls out to the front yard so I could keep an eye on them in the tractor while I worked. That lil Drama girl is getting heavy!

Hey guys....it's my turn to
hit.gif
So ...
hit.gif

I just received 2 huge boxes of birds from the good ol' USPS, (note, said with maximum amount of hostility possible at the moment) and except for one bantam pullet, they are all dead.

The boxes are completely intact, without a single ding, I can't imagine what the hell happened.

I am absolutely sick to my stomach right now. The poor things are still in their boxes, I can't even look at them right now.

Some of these were EXTREMELY rare bantam white Faverolles...sent to me in an attempt to keep them from being lost as a variety, as I can count on 2 fingers the number of people that I know of that are breeding them...luckily I have some bantam black males to breed this little girl to, and I am going to guard her with my life....
HOW HORRIBLY AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
Hope your miracle girl stays healthy!

We just ate the two teensy tiny Exchequer Leghorn eggs. Perfectly formed with amazingly thick and hard shells and small but extremely dark yolks, they were the most robust yet complex of all the backyard eggs we've tried! Sooooo delicious. We both really love eggs so this is the most rewarding part for us. YUM!!! I really do think that the Mediterranean breeds' superior foraging tendencies make a significant difference in the taste of pastured eggs.

My dog was my best friend when I was told the news 1,600 miles away. I didn't think dogs cried until then, he just leaned against my shoulder and bawled with me :0) such a sweetie-poo. My old boss had a golden-doodle that got preggers by the Australian Shepherd that jump the fence, he said "Ya want a dog?!"

^^^ Isn't he gorgeous! Anyway... I should have posted in Random Ramblings! We are a family who just adores living creatures, they are just so much more sincere than people. One day we will have that farm, but for now, we are stuck in a good sized lot in the city. WE! I keep talking about us and y'all just don't have any idea who "we" are! There are 7 of us total, Hubs & I with our 4 boys (yes, four of them) and our little Ellie, who turned a year last month, poor girl...all those boys! Our dog's name is Raider and we have a chinchilla names Scarface, she was the runt and had her ear clipped by a sibling, poor dear. So that's us in a funky nut shell!
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CR and I have had a couple of pretty good chats during the time he was up here. One of the things we chatted about is how, if people don't understand the situation others are in, it is easy to make snap judgments about others here on the forum. Feelings get hurt. It doesn't end up being a positive place for anyone.

So, I thought I'd share a little bit about the yard situation I live with. I know I have had my feelings hurt on more than one occasion about critical remarks toward people who don't or are unable to grow large edible gardens. I have worked very, very hard to have the itty bitty garden that I now have. I have four 4'x4' square foot gardens, one 4'x10' asparagus bed that grow well. I have attempted to grow other plants without them being in the raised beds and they do not survive in the ground. I have studied permaculture for 4+ years and dream that someday I'll have land that will support that dream. Until then, I will continue to try to make do with what I have.

My entire 10,000 sq. foot lot is on what is known as glacier till. Basically, we live on gravel. We live on a cliff. A very large and well known gravel company mines about 1 mile down the road.

Here is a picture of a small portion of the gravel that I had to dig out of my four 4'x4' square foot garden beds. I would guess that this is only about 1/20th of the rocks that came out of those 4 small beds. The rest I have taken by wheelbarrow, load after load, and, with my neighbor's blessing, thrown over the part of the cliff that he owns. I got tired of loading and hauling the rocks over the cliff. That is why this pile still sits here. It is back-breaking, exhausting work to move rock in the quantities that we have.

Wow, what a pain!!!!!!!!!! My land's achilles heel is bermuda grass. Dang stuff grows thru EVERYTHING! Forget pulling it because if you leave just a piece of the runners it springs right up!

Originally Posted by KMHunter
love.gif
CUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom