Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an Amazing story of love for life....................................

Money raising efforts for sick infant take amazing turn

By Elizabeth Dinh & KOMO Staff Published: Oct 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM PDT Last Updated: Oct 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM PDT

120926_baby_big.jpg
»PLAY VIDEO
MONROE, Wash. -- A Pierce County baby just received a huge donation in the fight to help him survive. 7-month old Casen Buswell is one of 14 people in the world with a rare vascular condition called GVM Plaque Type. Plaque is hardening the Casen's vessels, muscles and skin - which could lead to heart failure.

The only place with established treatment is in Belgium, which means many costly trips for Casen's family. But after watching Casen's story, one man decided to give up something he treasured for the boy who captured his heart.

Ron Cook cherished his 1957 Chevy Bel Air, but decided to give it away to honor his mom Ruth, who died of lung cancer, and, to raise money for Casen.

He sold hundreds of raffle tickets in just a couple of weeks. Generosity came in the form of more than $10,000.

It's a gift that should help pay for Casen's expensive treatments in Belgium for his rare vascular condition.

And for Della Phillip, who won the raffle, she gets a classic car for her efforts.

"The only reason I did it was for that baby," Phillip said.

But wait, there's more. After the raffle, Phillip donated the car back to Casen for a second raffle.

They're strangers who were touched by a boy who, at 7 months, is fighting to survive.

"What it means to me is giving him a chance to live," Cook said.

The money raised from both raffles is in addition to the $21,000 KOMO viewers have donated since seeing Casen's original story.

But Casen's mother Jenna said the outpouring is priceless.

"You can't put any - there's no price tag to it," Jenna Buswell said. "It's just amazing to feel the love and to know that Casen has so much support."

Quote:
A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) screws into a light socket like a bulb but produces heat without light, directed down like a spot lamp bulb. You can get them in various wattages like a light bulb. The chicks really seem to like them!

CHEs are a lot more expensive than a regular light bulb (typically $25-30), but they last a LONG time. You can buy them in any pet store with a reptile section.

Jennifer

Can it screw into my heat lamp housing - instead of the 250w red bulb.

So I went to check for eggs at my friends' house today in the pouring rain. I realized her coop roof leaks. It's mild, but will only get worse. Those chickens are gonna be sick in no time this winter unless they can find a way to fix the roof. Unfortunately I don't think they care much. I'm gonna let her know what I observed and leave the rest up to them. I hate feeling sad for animals but I do know some people are going to raise chickens a LOT differently than I do. Total bummer.

Quote: No clue where that egg came from unless maybe it was one of the ones I took from the neighbors coop on one of my recent late night shopping trips. If that is it then it would be a leghorn x BR roo.

Oh great. So, now yer tellin' me I'm in possession of a stolen chick?

Edited to add: a stolen FIVE-TOED yellow chick...

Last edited:
Want to share a special story with you all.

What an amazing story of love for so many who were brought together for one goal.
This is the story that should be running first on the news.................

Money raising efforts for sick infant take amazing turn
By Elizabeth Dinh & KOMO Staff
Published: Oct 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM PDT Last Updated: Oct 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM PDT

MONROE, Wash. -- A Pierce County baby just received a huge donation in the fight to help him survive. 7-month old Casen Buswell is one of 14 people in the world with a rare vascular condition called GVM Plaque Type. Plaque is hardening the Casen's vessels, muscles and skin - which could lead to heart failure.

The only place with established treatment is in Belgium, which means many costly trips for Casen's family. But after watching Casen's story, one man decided to give up something he treasured for the boy who captured his heart.

Ron Cook cherished his 1957 Chevy Bel Air, but decided to give it away to honor his mom Ruth, who died of lung cancer, and, to raise money for Casen.

He sold hundreds of raffle tickets in just a couple of weeks. Generosity came in the form of more than $10,000.

It's a gift that should help pay for Casen's expensive treatments in Belgium for his rare vascular condition.

And for Della Phillip, who won the raffle, she gets a classic car for her efforts.

"The only reason I did it was for that baby," Phillip said.

But wait, there's more. After the raffle, Phillip donated the car back to Casen for a second raffle.

They're strangers who were touched by a boy who, at 7 months, is fighting to survive.

"What it means to me is giving him a chance to live," Cook said.
[/b]

The money raised from both raffles is in addition to the $21,000 KOMO viewers have donated since seeing Casen's original story.

But Casen's mother Jenna said the outpouring is priceless.

"You can't put any - there's no price tag to it," Jenna Buswell said. "It's just amazing to feel the love and to know that Casen has so much support."

Last edited:
Getting chickens and become reattached to my garden and yard this summer has totally improved my attitude toward the rain! I would normally get depressed and lazy feeling this time of year, and it lasts until march or April..but so far I'm doing OK. The dark is bothering me more than the rain.

I have gardened in the rain a couple of times this week..I got a little muddy..but so what
wink.png
I just need to adjust my attitude.

Part of me feels like if I expect the chickens to be out in the rain, that I should have to be out there in it with them
wink.png
. It's only fair. I feel bad for them.

thumbsup.gif
Same here... it's the short days that get to me. As soon as we get past the shortest day each year, my mood improves dramatically.

Quote:
Congrats on your new babies, too!

I'm enjoying the rain. The wind can go away though. I haven't wind-proofed my run yet. I went out this evening and Drama was honking. I hope she was just trying to impersonate a goose and not getting sick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom