Wasp Nest in Coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mehpenn, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    Anyone want to guess how I know?
    Yep.. three times right in the forehead, then as I swatted at them, knocked my glasses off my face and scraped my nose.
    So now, I have three huge welts on my forehead that have my entire head pulsating with pain and a half inch scrape down my nose. [​IMG]

So, what's a safe way to get rid of these pests without hurting my chickies? [​IMG]

2. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    bump......curious here too
    I hope the stings stop hurting and heal soon

3. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

After dark and after any coop lights are off, the wasps will have all returned to the nest. You can enter with a flashlite and crush them as they sleep if you are quick, or you can use wasp spray if you keep it away from the chickens and thier food and water. After killing them all make sure you crush the nest as it will be full of eggs and young wasps. Remove the nest when done so as not to encourage them from building a new nest. good luck

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Have you heard of the ziploc bag trick? Fill up a ziploc bag halfway with water and drop in 4 shiny pennies. Zip it up and tape it to the ceiling of your coop. Supposedly, the reflection of the light against the pennies & water makes wasps and flies dizzy and they won't want to make a nest there. I haven't tried it yet as I just heard about it. You can google for more info (and pics).

5. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the "wasp spray" idea. Most wasp sprays work in such a way that if any wasps return to the nest and "touch" it, they will die too. Because of this, you can spray them during the day while the chickens are out of the coop. When you initially spray the nest, all the larva and some guards will fall out. Make sure you watch where they drop and clean them up. You don't want your babies eating them. The next day, go back in and remove the nest. Another really helpful tip for any future wasp or bee stings is to apply "flouride" toothpaste. It instantly stops all pain. I've used it on my kids and myself in the past. [​IMG]
    Don't try to crush the nest. That would be very dangerous.[​IMG]

6. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    I am in the Pest Control industry. The best remedy and least toxic is to mix Dawn dish liquid and water in a spray bottle, move slowly or at night lightly spray the nest. They will be dead shortly. Don't forget to remove the nest. Hope this helps![​IMG]

7. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Been there done that....got stung by a yellowjacket several times right in the forehead....an impressive sight walking out to work in the morning, dropping my lunch and smacking myself in the face as I am getting stung......

8. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:Thanks for the advice, does it work on nieghbors too?

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Thanks for the advice, does it work on nieghbors too?

Uh...probably not [​IMG] ...but it will kill grasshoppers when sprayed on plants. [​IMG] I wish neighbors were that easy to get rid of.

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I work in an industry where encounters with wasps are rampant,we often had spray killer but found times where I was out so i used rust penetrant,not only would it kill the wasps it would tarnish the nest and the ones who were out would not re-inhabit the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by