Wasp nests in the chicken run

Pics
View attachment 3591562
I found two of these inside the chicken run.

If they were outside, I'd spray them with Raid wasp/hornet killer. (And then skedaddle.) The bugs fall to the ground, twitch, and die. Sorry bugs, my house/shed/greenhouse, my rules. You're not welcome. You've stung me before.

I don't want the chickens to eat the wasps, and I doubt the spray that falls to the ground should be on their menu. Someone mentioned spraying the nest with a mixture of Dawn dish soap/water, a teaspoon soap to a cup of water. Would that be safe for chickens to eat, if they chose to?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of them in a chicken-safe manner? I'm going to tag a bunch of people for input. I can't be the only person with this problem. Thank you!

@aart @DobieLover @U_Stormcrow @sourland @Shadrach @3KillerBs @Perris
Less poisonous than RAID is WD-40. It drops the wasps instantly and they die. I've sprayed several nests in broad daylight with no problem (although I'm careful!)

As a wildlife rehabber and a chicken mom when I need something that is bird-safe I used 8-in-1 mite and lice spray for birds. It is meant to be sprayed directly on birds to kill those particular pests. It is also perfect for any wasps nest I find in the wrong place. A couple of good pumps and the wasps flee and die elsewhere so my chickens don't get the chance to eat them. The nest is then emptied of wasps and I can remove it. Another pump where the nest was keeps any returning wasps to look elsewhere to start over. You can use any mite/lice spray and you'll have a bird-safe, structure-safe, and environmental-safe way to get the wasps to move elsewhere.

View attachment 3591562
I found two of these inside the chicken run.

If they were outside, I'd spray them with Raid wasp/hornet killer. (And then skedaddle.) The bugs fall to the ground, twitch, and die. Sorry bugs, my house/shed/greenhouse, my rules. You're not welcome. You've stung me before.

I don't want the chickens to eat the wasps, and I doubt the spray that falls to the ground should be on their menu. Someone mentioned spraying the nest with a mixture of Dawn dish soap/water, a teaspoon soap to a cup of water. Would that be safe for chickens to eat, if they chose to?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of them in a chicken-safe manner? I'm going to tag a bunch of people for input. I can't be the only person with this problem. Thank you!

@aart @DobieLover @U_Stormcrow @sourland @Shadrach @3KillerBs @Perris
We started using the Dawn mix to spray for wasp and hornets about 18 years ago. We have never looked back! It Drops them, it will wipe out the nest AND the wasps have learned what it smells like, so they won't rebuild even if you miss some. It needs to be a strong mix for Red wasps, they are very tough. Also it does not hurt your house, yard, plants, or most importantly your chickens

Back
Top Bottom