Wasp nests in the chicken run

Why not just leave them and the next raccoon that wants to mess with the coop gets an nasty surprise. I used to drive a rusted out Bronco with a big wasp nest just behind the passenger side B pilllar. The truck smoked so bad that it calmed the beasts while I was driving. I just had to get in carefully. I called it my all natural anti theft device.

When I have had wasp nests I deal with them at night. That way they should all be home. I put a flash light shining on the nest but away from me. That way if any come out they will head toward the light not me.
I think I'll go out after lock up and see if there are any still around. Thanks for the info about the flashlight.

View attachment 3591562
I found two of these inside the chicken run.

If they were outside, I'd spray them with Raid wasp/hornet killer. (And then skedaddle.) The bugs fall to the ground, twitch, and die. Sorry bugs, my house/shed/greenhouse, my rules. You're not welcome. You've stung me before.

I don't want the chickens to eat the wasps, and I doubt the spray that falls to the ground should be on their menu. Someone mentioned spraying the nest with a mixture of Dawn dish soap/water, a teaspoon soap to a cup of water. Would that be safe for chickens to eat, if they chose to?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of them in a chicken-safe manner? I'm going to tag a bunch of people for input. I can't be the only person with this problem. Thank you!

@aart @DobieLover @U_Stormcrow @sourland @Shadrach @3KillerBs @Perris
I just got rid of a wasp nest in my coop today. I use a homemade spray made of water, vinegar, neem oil, a few crushed up garlic cloves, eucalyptus oil. It stinks but not only does it work on a variety of insects, it's safe to spray around chickens. I use it on myself and it keeps ticks and mosquitoes away. Also works to keep people away cause like I mentioned - this spray stinks but it really works. I haven't had a tick on me or a mosquito bite since I started using it. It doesn't kill wasps or yellow jackets on contact but it does work pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom