Wasp nests in the chicken run

but permethrin also kills new wasps who wish to restart at the old nest location...

and is more biodegradeable than starter fluid, for those concerned with such things.
Yeah, I am concerned with that.

Good news: I see no more wasps on the nests. Thanks for the suggestion, @U_Stormcrow.

Less good news: There's a new wasp nest in my garden shed (far away from the chickens). I still have a can of Raid, so I will blast them with that. Last time they built a nest in the shed, I found out by getting stung on the back of my hand. Dang, that HURT!

Seriously, almost any sort of hydro carbon will mess wasps up but lacquer thinner works best. This is the top corner of my spray booth where I tend to spray only lacquer or pre cat lacquer. One summer a couple of dirt daubers started trying to build some cells for eggs but would get drunk and kept starting a new cell every few hours. They would come back with a load of mud, usually smack into the wall or ceiling and drop to the ground, or if landed they would forget which cell they were working on and start a new cell. Nothing like spraying the final top coat on an expensive cabinet door and having a dang wasp land in the middle of it. Red wasps, yellow jackets, they all love the smell of lacquer thinner, get drunk, become incredibly docile, and easy to squash. A single drop or mist on them also kills them instantly.
20230803_103332.jpg

View attachment 3591562
I found two of these inside the chicken run.

If they were outside, I'd spray them with Raid wasp/hornet killer. (And then skedaddle.) The bugs fall to the ground, twitch, and die. Sorry bugs, my house/shed/greenhouse, my rules. You're not welcome. You've stung me before.

I don't want the chickens to eat the wasps, and I doubt the spray that falls to the ground should be on their menu. Someone mentioned spraying the nest with a mixture of Dawn dish soap/water, a teaspoon soap to a cup of water. Would that be safe for chickens to eat, if they chose to?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of them in a chicken-safe manner? I'm going to tag a bunch of people for input. I can't be the only person with this problem. Thank you!

@aart @DobieLover @U_Stormcrow @sourland @Shadrach @3KillerBs @Perris
I go out at dark and knock them down. Chickens take care of the rest. My birds free range and they like to eat anything that moves!

View attachment 3591562
I found two of these inside the chicken run.

If they were outside, I'd spray them with Raid wasp/hornet killer. (And then skedaddle.) The bugs fall to the ground, twitch, and die. Sorry bugs, my house/shed/greenhouse, my rules. You're not welcome. You've stung me before.

I don't want the chickens to eat the wasps, and I doubt the spray that falls to the ground should be on their menu. Someone mentioned spraying the nest with a mixture of Dawn dish soap/water, a teaspoon soap to a cup of water. Would that be safe for chickens to eat, if they chose to?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of them in a chicken-safe manner? I'm going to tag a bunch of people for input. I can't be the only person with this problem. Thank you!

@aart @DobieLover @U_Stormcrow @sourland @Shadrach @3KillerBs @Perris
Puff them with diatomaceous earth aka DE. Safe to eat. Bad g for any bug with an exoskeleton.
Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade

Back
Top Bottom