Wasp spray in coop - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensonly, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. hensonly

    hensonly Songster

    May 15, 2008
    upstate NY

    I have been preparing my coop for 15 RIR pullets, 5 weeks tomorrow...there are a number of paper wasp nest in the roof, and a helpful someone sprayed them today!!!

    I wanted to move the chicks out of the brooder and into the coop tomorrow, but now I have poisoned wasps, larvae, and drips of the spray on the floor of the house and run. I've cleaned up as best I can, but there are still spray-soaked nests and dead wasps clinging to them up in the roof.

    What do I do? Can I clean it somehow, or will the poison dissipate on its own? HOw long do I need to wait before I can put birds in there? It's very open and will air out quickly, but still...

    Please advise, thank you in advanc,
  2. arlee453

    arlee453 Songster

    Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd wait at least a day or two for the poison to dry completely. And also be sure to sweep up any dead insects that drop to within chicken range - they will eat the dead ones and get the poision that way.
  3. SierraMA

    SierraMA In the Brooder

    May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have wasps too. I was wondering if there is something I can coat the roof to keep them from making the nest? I knocked one off on Sunday and this morning they started building another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: