Wasps galore this year? Anyone else?

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
I'm sitting here trying to avoid the stinging and throbbing sensation on my right scapula where a wasp stung me about 2 hours ago. This is the third sting we've had this year (twice for me already! Other sting was on my right foot where a wasp flew inside the house...I didn't see it and stepped next to it).

We're outside of Jacksonville, FL and have been here for 10+ years now, and never had such prolific wasps in our area. We live in the woods (literally inside the woods.) I found the nest that was built this morning (wasn't there yesterday) on the coop and hit it with the pressure washer. The birds were happy to have a treat when the nest fell into the coop (minus the parent wasps). Wasps are still hanging about but didn't get stung again, thank God.

Anyone else seeing an uptick in wasps in your area? We bought these traps and plan to put them in a couple areas that we've seen them the most. Anyone have anything similar they've used with luck?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZH7VYNZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yeah we here in New Mexico are inundated with the wasps this year, I just today tried to remove a nest they had made in a lantern and got chased over 100 ft by an angry wasp! :gig

Reminds me of a story my Dad told about he and his friends knocking down and fighting a wasp nest with hockey sticks.
Yeah that's dangerous. It's best to wait till it's cool, when they are lethargic to remove a nest, but it's summer, they are going to be hyper for months yet! :D

Surprisingly neither my Dad or his friends got stung, it was after the fight when they were lining the wasps up to count them that the neighbour girl came over and poked one in the stinger.

Yeah that's dangerous. It's best to wait till it's cool, when they are lethargic to remove a nest, but it's summer, they are going to be hyper for months yet! :D
I had a vendetta and took the pressure washer out. Knocked that nest off there in a few seconds. Thankfully, no more retribution but hey, they went after me first when I was only trying to change the water. :)

I had a vendetta and took the pressure washer out. Knocked that nest off there in a few seconds. Thankfully, no more retribution but hey, they went after me first when I was only trying to change the water. :)
Pressure washers work well! Yeah if I am innocently minding my own business and they come after me, I show no mercy. :D Otherwise I leave them alone.

Yes, lots of wasps this year, but we have tons of wasps every year. Everyone says the common ones around here (red wasps) are aggressive, but I haven't been stung yet. If I have a nest to take out, I wait until dark to do it.

Back
Top Bottom