First time broody hen, and an Egg Catastrophe! What to do?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
Someone ate two of the eggs my broody was sitting on. The others are caked with dirt and egg yolk. Can they still hatch? She's been sitting on eggs for 3 days now. Can/should I add more eggs? I want at least 1-2 chicks.

So my broody hen, Sassy, is a starlight green egger. She's exactly one year old, and went broody twice last year. I broke her both times. This year, she's broody at a decent time of year, and very determined about it, so I figured I'd let her set eggs. She'd been at it for a week when I replaced the fake eggs with real ones this past Friday morning. She's brooding in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor of our covered coop/run. We've been checking her daily to remove any unmarked eggs from under her. She doesn't mind it much, doesn't peck us, and hasn't broken her brood.

I collected eggs and washed them to sell on Sunday afternoon, so I didn't have any unwashed eggs left. Sunday late afternoon we discovered two of the 5 eggs under Sassy had been broken and eaten. I think this was an accident because we don't have any egg eaters so far (we get 12-13 eggs from 15 hens daily). There were hardly any shavings under Sassy, so I moved her out of the nest box, put more shavings under her, and replaced the three unbroken eggs. She went right back. However, the unbroken eggs are NASTY. They are covered in dirt, wood chip bits, and dried egg yolk/white. I'm afraid to wash them because I don't want to remove any remaining protective coating, but I worry they won't hatch due to contamination.

I took chicken wire and fenced off Sassy's nesting area inside the coop/run so the other chickens can't disturb her any more. She's in there with food and water and can walk about a bit.

I put another egg under her Monday morning, hoping she would have at least one clean egg that might hatch, but that's a staggered hatch. I really don't want to stretch it out further (adding an egg tonight), but I was hoping to get at least 2 chicks. I did an incubation in January and all 24 set eggs were fertile, so I figure that's probably still the case. I guess I could get the incubator ready if she leaves the nest early if the dirty eggs happen to hatch and she abandons the clean one.

Do you think the dirty eggs will hatch ok?

I only have a few more weeks of fertility left, as we had to process our rooster a week ago. :(

Anything else I can do to help her have a successful hatch? What would you do in this situation?

Last edited:
me, id have a rubber glove on and clean up the mess and handful at a time in some fresh grass carefully when its almost dark but not quite so she dont freak, and start chucking fresh eggs under her for the next week or so .. or ..put them in the bator, you got probably 3 weeks or so to collect viable eggs from the time you ate your rooster ..

2x @Yardmom

IF you mess with her nest too much, she may give up on them so have the incubator warming if you decide to attempt cleaning the eggs more. Being that you washed the eggs prior to putting under broody there is a chance the eggs are "contaminated" but you won't know until farther along. Keep a close watch for sweating or smells.

2x @Yardmom

IF you mess with her nest too much, she may give up on them so have the incubator warming if you decide to attempt cleaning the eggs more. Being that you washed the eggs prior to putting under broody there is a chance the eggs are "contaminated" but you won't know until farther along. Keep a close watch for sweating or smells.
Ah, I wasn't clear - I had washed the rest of the eggs I had collected to sell, and so I didn't put them under her on Sunday. I had to wait till Monday for the other hens to lay more eggs, I ended up putting one under her this morning (Monday), and two this afternoon (fresh, as-laid, clean, protective coating intact). I figure this way odds are better that a few chicks will result, and I'll keep an eye on her once the first (dirty) eggs are set to hatch, and see how things go. If she wanders off the nest, I should be able to rescue the other eggs, I guess I'll just have the incubator standing by. And they'll be close enough in age I'll try to sneak them back under her as soon as they've hatched (that night). I'll try and candle them once a week, and keep an eye out for smells, cause I don't know about those dirty eggs.

I had a world of trouble breaking her last year, so I figured she'd be pretty determined about brooding. I actually had two 5 gallon bucket nest boxes right next to each other - the one she was in didn't have enough shavings, and got what was in there all nasty with the broken eggs, so I put fresh shavings in the adjacent nest box, and then put her eggs in there, and she went right in and sat on them. I put a new nest box in the first location, but it was a different type of bucket and she wasn't interested. So nest moving was a success, but I really don't want to do it again.

me, id have a rubber glove on and clean up the mess and handful at a time in some fresh grass carefully when its almost dark but not quite so she dont freak, and start chucking fresh eggs under her for the next week or so .. or ..put them in the bator, you got probably 3 weeks or so to collect viable eggs from the time you ate your rooster ..
The yolk was already dried on the eggs by the time I found out what happened, or I would have wiped it, for sure.

I just grew out 20 chicks from this rooster, and 12-16 of them were male. They're 3 months, so not laying yet - I was hoping for some more female green eggers, so we'll see. I don't really have space for more chicks right now, but a handful should be okay, and since Sassy was really into brooding, I figured we'd give brooding eggs a shot. If things don't work out, I'll learn what to do better next time, and I won't be crying about messing up expensive shipped eggs.

Hello! I’m not exactly sure about hatching the dirty eggs, but others seem to have pretty good advice. However, I just wanted to say that the hen will get off the nest within a day or two of the first chick hatching, so unfortunately (unless you use an incubator for the others) having a ‘staggered hatch’ would really just be a couple chicks hatching and the other eggs dying a couple days before they’re due. In nature, hens don’t start incubation until their entire clutch had been laid, and no more are added after it begins, so I personally don’t think it would work to put more eggs in there. But, the hen may accept extra HATCHED chicks even if she gets off the nest, if you put the extras under her at night. Just make sure to watch her closely the first day or so, so that she doesn’t hurt them. If she ends up rejecting them, bring them in and raise them yourself. :)

Hello! I’m not exactly sure about hatching the dirty eggs, but others seem to have pretty good advice. However, I just wanted to say that the hen will get off the nest within a day or two of the first chick hatching, so unfortunately (unless you use an incubator for the others) having a ‘staggered hatch’ would really just be a couple chicks hatching and the other eggs dying a couple days before they’re due. In nature, hens don’t start incubation until their entire clutch had been laid, and no more are added after it begins, so I personally don’t think it would work to put more eggs in there. But, the hen may accept extra HATCHED chicks even if she gets off the nest, if you put the extras under her at night. Just make sure to watch her closely the first day or so, so that she doesn’t hurt them. If she ends up rejecting them, bring them in and raise them yourself. :)
I'll aim for tucking the chicks under if it staggers. I figured if the dirty eggs don't hatch, she'll just wait until the clean ones do. I wanted to make sure her brooding eventually ends without me having to make it happen.

The brooding area. Sassy's in the red bucket.

Also for giggles, two pictures of my other chicken forcing her way between the slats of a pallet (including chicken wire). I had to turn her around and pull her out, and she was fine. A few feathers were slightly rumpled, not even broken. Then I put up more chicken wire to cover the hole. I see them every day, multiple times a day, and bring them food, and am always calm and deliberate. But somehow I'm still scary enough that they must run away from me at random times. Crazy chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5147.jpg
    IMG_5147.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5148.jpg
    IMG_5148.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 20
I see them every day, multiple times a day, and bring them food, and am always calm and deliberate. But somehow I'm still scary enough that they must run away from me at random times. Crazy chickens!
I alternate between being the BigScaryMonster and the BringerOfTreats. Which I will be on a given day is impossible to predict.

Back
Top Bottom