wasps....what is the chicken-safe way to rid the coop?

whatthecluck

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 30, 2009
VeRmOnT
Because we now have several at a time and I am not one to enjoy going in there with them there...chickens are not jumping in at the opportunity to munch them so they are smart enough
tongue.png
but how do I get rid of the wasps? Yikes!

Are you talking about ground wasps? Paper wasps?

What's in there?

You might benefit from a no-pest strip in the coop, hung in wire or far above where chickens can reach it (pyrethins).
Better to find source though.

If ground wasps, wait until after sunset and pour boiling water in the ground holes, which you have marked beforehand. Be careful, some prople are very allergic to these wasps. . Might take several days to find all of them. You do so at sunset or later so all wasps have returned and are less active as temperatures lessens. If you try this when wasps are active, it's too dangerous.

Last edited:
Your chooks won't eat them? My brood try to chase down wasps. And once they caught one and played chicken rugby with it
th.gif
I couldn't get it away from them once I realized what my meaty caught, but thank god it didn't harm them any.

We go after our airborne wasp with a hose and a swatter. Soaking them so they can fly and crushing them with the swatter or a well placed shoe

Last edited:
Well they arent jumping for these like they do flies in front of me. But the day before yesterday there were 5 in the coop and yesterday 2 so their population is dwindling more slowly
lol.png

I am a wimp with these so getting me to chase them is a slim chance...I like the late night idea..but I havent figured out what they are or where they sleep yet
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom