1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water additive

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by granny hatchet, Jan 6, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hope someone knows about this, a lot of people have been trying to keep their water from freezing and it just occurred to me as i was trying to open my frozen solid waterers that the jug of vinegar sitting there IS NOT FROZE !!! has anyone had experience with this? i mean i guess i could give them a shot of vodka or something [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aaah, i was wrong, it did freeze, just took longer [​IMG] what about vannilla ?

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My hunch is that you'd have to add a lot of vinegar to make the water "anti-freeze" and I'm still not sure that would work. A smidgen of vinegar in their water is good for them, but you can have too much of a good thing.

4. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    I don't know of anything u can add to the water to keep it from freezing. U need to just keep it from freezing

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]it froze. my fingers stuck to the metal bars too.

6. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    This is what I have done but I have 5gall water bases from thiesens with buckets. And under the brick I used a floor tile and a 100w bulb. Then I even wrapped insulation around the buckets

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    great idea. just learned to make my first cookie tin water heater and i have heard they are not going to make any more light bulbs??? the problem i am having is my brooders. they have a 250 watt heat light with the water directly under them and are still frozen solid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by