Water all over!!!!

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I finished my new coop and moved my Delawares in it with the older girls. Now the chickens are making a constant mess with the waterer! I have it up higher, and got a larger one. When the Delawares drink, they slop it all over. Now all my nice new fresh bedding is WET!
How am I going to solve this problem? I need to come up with a solution before winter or the humidity and wet bedding is going to cause some real problems.
Any ideas?

my bearded salmon faverolles do the same. I've moved my waterers outside. Not sure what i'll do if it gets too cold to leave them out.

Put your waterer on a concrete block inside of a Rubbermaid type sweater box. The water should stay inside the box, keeping shavings dryer. Of course, the box will get shavings and other presents in it, but the coop itself will be dryer. We were going to do something like this for our ducks, but a weasel put an end to the need for this:(

We have an electric dog bowl up on a patio block supported by cinder blocks. The hens were messier when younger but now I find them much better. It also helps to have a shallow livestock bowl outside where they can get messy in the water, I find they keep the indoor dog bowl reasonably tidy. If they do make a spill, I sprinkle clean shavings around the bowl for a few minutes and scrape the wet material into a catch bucket. I think the large area of the patio block is the secret...but I also like that idea of having the water container inside a splash container...I'd probably put the dog bowl in the livestock bowl, for instance...since ours is plugged in during the winter I wanted it elevated and for any splashes to run off.

Shown in this link about 2/3 down the page...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

Quote:
I do something similar to this, my waterer is off the floor in an old tire rim DH had in the garage and I bought a round feeder/waterer pan from TSC to put this in. So now the water gets in the pan instead of all over the floor. You would be AMAZED at how much water I collect in that pan, but I do have 3 ducks and 2 geese sharing the coop as well so they are real messy with water!
I also sprinkle Stall Dry in the coop often around the waterer to help dry out what does land on the floor!

Mine did the same thing.
I use a new oil pan under the plastic gallon waterer which is sitting on bricks. They still knock it a bit but the oil pan catches it most times. It has really cut down on the wet shavings since I started that.

I have been having the same problem and placed the waterer in an upsidedown garbage can top = on bricks I guess I have to try and raise it higher... I like the box idea - Ill try that next

You could try a nipple waterer for inside the coop and a fountain/bell waterer for the run. The nipple waterer doesn't leak and they're cheap to make-check out my page for more deets. Just a thought-good luck with your water situation.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom