water bowl heaters. what do you use

Quote:
I've tried a bunch of things, but this is how I'm doing it now: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=457620

Works in my unheated coops well down into the -15f range with no problem. Local Napa has the oil pan heaters in stock this time of year, and now they come wth adhesive backing even. For even greater efficiency I have the submersible thermostat running off of a baseboard heater thermostat set at 40 so those weeks/months every year where we're below freezing at night but 45-50 during the day I'm not trying to keep the water at 66f 24/7.

I've used my heated dog bowl for three years already. They work great and are easily replaced if it fails. I too like how they have an auto-shut off to conserve electricity. Do raise it up on something to help keep it cleaner. I use two buckets, one with clean water and one to carry supplies and dump the old water into.
59651_chicken_care_019.jpg

59651_pet_chicken_0971.jpg

Like everyone else here, I've bought the TSC heated dog waterer. I only have 6 chickens and keep their regular 1-gallon waterer in the run as well, so I've not found cause to refill it all the time (helps that it rained for 3 days straight and kept them full). I have it raised on 2 levels of bricks and they have yet to poop in it. It seems to be working but will be put to the test in Jan/Feb when the temps really fall here.

Quote:
I was amazed last year during ice-overs how well it worked. The water was not only unfrozen, but slightly warm compared to the ambient temps which was probably more nice to drink than nearly frozen icy cold water.

I use the cookie tin heater powered by a 40W bulb. It sets on top of a couple of concrete blocks. Water fount sets on top of that. Worked great last winter and costs less than $5 to build. This year I have added a thermocube to shut it off on warmer winter days.
Jack

I have used a heating pad under their plastic water dispenser with success. It has the advantage of being cheaper than a heated dog bowl and it uses less electricity. You need to insulate the pad from ground temps by using a piece of wood or cardboard and keep the cord out of the way. Keep the pad dry with a plastic bag wrapped around it and taped

Back
Top Bottom