water bucket?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I found of of my bantam cochins dead in the water bucket this morning šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

I donā€™t think she drowned though, she was curled up in it like a nest? It was in the 60s last night so maybe cold enough if wet to be too cold?

I feel terrible. Bucket was less full than usual, yesterday I skipped refilling it for time reasons. Normally everyone gets fresh water every single day. I donā€™t keep a bucket around chicks but had no idea hens were a riskā€¦my guess is she had to lean a little further in than normal and got stuck in, then wet and cold for hours (oh poor thing!)

Hate this. She was the gorgeous blue and part of a trio, her sisters are both broody. I have two of her fertilized eggs, just tucked them under her sister Sammie.

Attachments

• 8EDD905C-907A-438F-A440-D1BB0A4C9391.jpeg
    8EDD905C-907A-438F-A440-D1BB0A4C9391.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 19
So sorry for your loss. Accidents can happen with water and containers. Buckets and flower pots have been known to turn over on chickens who donā€™t know how to get out. I like open waterers except when chicks are very young. But I like flat pig pans of water, where the chickens can climb in to cool legs, or to drink from, but hopefully not drown.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...mAja_8E2fei7tVI_8e5AfQaawJD5nrtRoCQ1gQAvD_BwE

So sorry for your loss. Accidents can happen with water and containers. Buckets and flower pots have been known to turn over on chickens who donā€™t know how to get out. I like open waterers except when chicks are very young. But I like flat pig pans of water, where the chickens can climb in to cool legs, or to drink from, but hopefully not drown.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...mAja_8E2fei7tVI_8e5AfQaawJD5nrtRoCQ1gQAvD_BwE
Thank you, and thank you for sharing this item with me.

Recently saw one of those (rubber?) big bowls for a dust bath too, looks smart!

Back
Top Bottom