Water came out of her mouth

Do give the cream twice a day, morning and night, and empty the crop out as much as you can before hand.

Have you seen any brown/solid matter in her poop that would indicate she is digesting some food or is just water and white urates? If no food seems to be getting through a crop flush is worth a try. 1/4 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon of molasses mixed in or 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt. You can give the epsom salt flush twice a day for 2-3 days if needed, just keep an eye out for dehydration (tired chicken, pale and droopy comb)
I have epsom salt do I give her the whole 1/2 cup? By syringe?

You can see if she wants to drink it on her own, but you'll probably have to use a syringe. I'd try to get most of in her, but stop if her crop seems too full (larger than a tennis ball) or if she's clearly had enough and is stressing out.
So I did get almost 1/2 cup warm epsom salt water down her, and while I had her I got a few pieces of coconut oil down her too. Then I took yolk the rest of warm water some layer mash and meal worms and she ate, she actually really perked up, she’s one of my hens that loves playing with my dog, and they interacted!! She had her tail up too. So I’m thinking I’ll leave her be tonight, see how the crop is in the morning and pray it’s empty! If it’s not I’ll try to empty it and give a little cream. What do you all think?

So I’m doing like a pea size amount of that cream , once a day is that ok?
That is what I did and it worked for me. I see others on here recommending a higher dose. I’m no expert.

My thoughts have always been to use the least amount that was effective. One pea size once a day worked on mine.

You should see improvements pretty quickly for sour crop if it’s working.

Good to hear she's feeling okay.

In my experience, twice a day is really best for the cream. If you give once a day it fights the infection in the morning, but then can wear off allowing the yeast to come roaring back at night and leaving you right where you started.

Good to hear she's feeling okay.

In my experience, twice a day is really best for the cream. If you give once a day it fights the infection in the morning, but then can wear off allowing the yeast to come roaring back at night and leaving you right where you started.
Ok so I should give her some tonight?

So my hens crop remained full throughout the nite, I gave her a pea size amount of cream , rubbed her crop and water came out again🥲 so I let her chill a minute then gave her coconut oil. She’s not super excited about eating , should I just continue doing what I am?

So my hens crop remained full throughout the nite, I gave her a pea size amount of cream , rubbed her crop and water came out again🥲 so I let her chill a minute then gave her coconut oil. She’s not super excited about eating , should I just continue doing what I am?
Yes, I think you are doing all you can. In the future I would try emptying the crop before giving the cream or most of it might come right back out when you massage.

The fact that her crop only seems to be able to empty out her mouth and not down into the rest of the digestive track is worrying... she may have a really bad obstruction either from something she ate or from an internal issue like a tumor. What's her poop been like? Any solids at all?

I'd do another epsom salt flush today since she handled it well yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom