Water came out of her mouth

thank you, she’s an awesome hen , I haven’t owned her too long , previous owners were moving and asked if I’d take their four older hens, I named her Nancy . She loves playing with my dog , it’s so funny. Actually sent a video of them to Americas funniest home videos!! I honestly don’t think I’ve ever gotten an egg from her, she’s just funny. My heart is breaking knowing she’s probably hungry 🥲
should I just continue the coconut oil?
She does sound awesome.

Attachments

• 85C457F4-E932-4155-AC4F-7056FE048964.jpeg
    85C457F4-E932-4155-AC4F-7056FE048964.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 4
  • F8FCA425-1DB6-4131-9763-3CCB12CA80C3.jpeg
    F8FCA425-1DB6-4131-9763-3CCB12CA80C3.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 4
Her poo appears to be clots of blood😢😢😢
This does not look good at all.

I am afraid that the cause for her crop issue might be some kind of tumor obstructing her digestive tract farther down. It looks as if there might have occured a rupture of the tumor.
What colour does her skin have?

How old is she and what breed?

This does not look good at all.

I am afraid that the cause for her crop issue might be some kind of tumor obstructing her digestive tract farther down. It looks as if there might have occured a rupture of the tumor.
What colour does her skin have?

How old is she and what breed?
Well I’m not 100% how old I got her and three others late summer because people were moving they just said older hens don’t lay every day, I took them łøł . Her comb and waddle are red.
I put her a cage with straw , alone, do u think it’s cocsidious?
She’s just standing with her eyes closed 😢

I am surprised this chicken is still alive at this point. Not intending to be a negative ninny, but that much blood is great cause for concern.

As for the possibility of coccidiosis, the likelihood of that depends on the timeline when you got her and put her on your local soil and when her symptoms began. If they comenced right away, no, it's probably not coccidiosis. If the symptoms began five to seven days after she was placed on your local soil, yes, then you can reasonable expect this to be coccidiosis. However, if it is coccidiosis, the amount of blood involved indicates serious bleeding in the intestines, and that requires a sulfa antibiotic to treat her, along with Corid or whatever coccidiostat you have available where you live.

But we still have not resolved this crop issue. Almost all crop issues stem from a preexisting health issue that triggers it. In this case, it could be a tumor or it could be a very heavy colony of coccidia and inflammation blocking the intestines, resulting in crop stasis, a slow-down of the digestive system allowing yeast to colonize the inert contents of the crop.

Continuing, that amount of blood loss is a serious assault on the chicken's body. If you continue to see this amount of blood in the stools, you can expect shock to set it as organs are deprived of oxygenated blood and begin shutting down, including the heart.

If this chicken does not reopen her eyes, and she lies down and remains motionless with eyes closed, I would expect death to occur within hours.

This is conjecture in view of a scant amount of information, other than the bloody photos. None of this may play out if we get more updated and descriptive information as to the behavior of this chicken in real time.

Well I’m not 100% how old I got her and three others late summer because people were moving they just said older hens don’t lay every day, I took them łøł . Her comb and waddle are red.
I put her a cage with straw , alone, do u think it’s cocsidious?
She’s just standing with her eyes closed 😢
So it would not be too far fetched to assume that she is an old/very old hybrid which sadly are prone to issues of the reproductive system and all kinds of tumors.

Although like @azygous mentioned, there might be a possibility that the bleeding was caused by an aggressive strain of coccidia, I don't think that older hens would get as sick as yours is, as with age they would have develop resistence to many coccidia strains.

Another possibility: Did you or any of your neighbours put out some rodenticides lately?

Back
Top Bottom