1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water cups

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrscrabtree92, Apr 11, 2016.

1. mrscrabtree92

mrscrabtree92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

So i have these water cups and my chicks drink from them but havent figured out how to peck the yellow spring to get more water out anything i can do to get them to learn

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Keep tapping it either with your finger or a stick (or something that you can use that does not alarm them, in case reaching into the brooder does)

Ct

3. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    It is outside in the run with them should i tap the yellow part? And what if they arent interested

4. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    They yellow part. If it does not work try tapping the beak of one or two against it. Once one gets it, they will all learn very quickly.

5. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    Ok thanks

6. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Those can be kind of deceiving at first. The chicks will not hold the yellow thing down and allow the cup to fill up. The first time I filled them up myself, as the water gets down to the bottom the beaks move them as they reach to the bottom of the cup giving a little bit of water. Mine are empty all the time but they are not dry in the bottom. If I see them dried out then I know there is a problem. The further down into the bottom they reach the more they open it. They are just drinking the water was it trickles in.

8. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    did you do anything to train them?

9. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    No, if you fill them up then once the chickens find them they will drink the water down to the bottom. Once the level get low enough they will hit the yellow release and more water will fill in. Mine figured it out instantly. Hopefully yours do the same.

1 person likes this.
  10. mrscrabtree92

Mar 23, 2016
    Hope so i came back after a few hours and there was barely any water in there so i have no idea if they were getting any or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by