water diarrhea, won't eat, water runs out beak

NH-McQs

Chirping
May 23, 2019
Please help - need advice

My 3 year old flock has been suffering from parasites this winter presumably from a coop rodent infestation (infestation has been resolved). One of my hens isn't bouncing back like the others and I fear she isn't going to make it much longer. She has had liquid diarrhea for 1+ week, which has resisted ivermectin and corid treatments. A few days ago she started dripping water out her beak when I pick her up - perhaps from all the water she is drinking to stay alive. I'm pretty sure she has stopped eating, and now refuses all treats, even egg and ground meat. Her comb is dark purple / blackish in the back. She is silent and lethargic. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!

Please help - need advice

My 3 year old flock has been suffering from parasites this winter presumably from a coop rodent infestation (infestation has been resolved). One of my hens isn't bouncing back like the others and I fear she isn't going to make it much longer. She has had liquid diarrhea for 1+ week, which has resisted ivermectin and corid treatments. A few days ago she started dripping water out her beak when I pick her up - perhaps from all the water she is drinking to stay alive. I'm pretty sure she has stopped eating, and now refuses all treats, even egg and ground meat. Her comb is dark purple / blackish in the back. She is silent and lethargic. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!
I am no expert, but it sounds like she might have a crop blockage. Have you felt her crop first thing in the morning to see if it empties overnight?

I am no expert, but it sounds like she might have a crop blockage. Have you felt her crop first thing in the morning to see if it empties overnight?
Thanks for the reply. It's mid afternoon and her crop is small / seems empty. She does have a bad smell though, perhaps indicating a crop problem as you mention.

Thanks for the reply. It's mid afternoon and her crop is small / seems empty. She does have a bad smell though, perhaps indicating a crop problem as you mention.
Hoping some more experienced folk weigh in. I have some experience of clearing a blocked crop using massage.
It took several times a day for several days to get stuff moving on through.
Sounds like your hen has already got sour crop from stasis in the crop. That will need treating with an antifungal.
You will also need to be careful massaging as it sounds like you hen already has liquid coming up and you don’t want her to aspirate the contents of her crop.
I suggest you search for sour crop and slow crop. There are lots of posts on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom