Water for Free Range pullets??

If you don't have natural water sources, spring, creek, river...
you should probably leave fresh water out for them.
I would think one would be fine as long as they know where it is.

I have about 1 watering station for every 2 acres. If is placed some distance from feeding station to reduce contamination. Preferred site is in the shade. When forages are major component of diet, you will see reduced use of watering station, possibly only once or twice daily. If feed predominates, then water consumption will approach that of confined birds.

You are in a really hot climate. As long as it doesn't run out one watering station should be enough in that area, but make sure it doesn't run out.

I use more. I water in white pet bowls with a rock in them to keep them from turning it over if they perch on the edge. The white helps keep it cooler, even in the shade. In really hot weather it's not unusual for some to stand in the water to help them cool off. I also always have various ages of chicks and chickens in the flock, multiple waterers makes sure they can all get a drink when they want it.

If yours are all the same age and you have lots of shade where they can stay cool, one is probably enough. But the way I go about it I prefer more.

We have a watering station on the opposite side of the yard to the coop....they use it ALL the time. They have water in their coop as well.

I always have two water sources for any group of birds. (In my case, a waterer in the coop and a large pan of water in the run/paddock area). This time of year, the consequences of something going wrong (running dry, spilling, leaking) are potentially fatal here in south Texas.

I use as shown below. Keeping them in shade gives an additional season or two of use before they have to be replaced. It also helps control algae growth when refilling frequency not high enough to control algae blooms.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aU3HrQ2a-W3SFzoN94smOuow&ust=1497816623569756

zoom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom