Water for Free Range pullets??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I have 12 LB pullets that free range over about .8 acre. Do you supply "water stations" around your property? If so, about how many/how far apart?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    If you don't have natural water sources, spring, creek, river...
    you should probably leave fresh water out for them.
    I would think one would be fine as long as they know where it is.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I put a extra water pan about mid way their ranging area---in the shade so they do not have to go back to the coop area for water.

4. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I have got one waterer near the house, which is about the apex of their ranging area. I just wanted to know that one was enough.

KikisGirls and PD-Riverman like this.
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have about 1 watering station for every 2 acres. If is placed some distance from feeding station to reduce contamination. Preferred site is in the shade. When forages are major component of diet, you will see reduced use of watering station, possibly only once or twice daily. If feed predominates, then water consumption will approach that of confined birds.

Farmer Connie likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I keep water close to the Coop...That way they have to come back to home base and I can make sure everyone is still here....

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You are in a really hot climate. As long as it doesn't run out one watering station should be enough in that area, but make sure it doesn't run out.

I use more. I water in white pet bowls with a rock in them to keep them from turning it over if they perch on the edge. The white helps keep it cooler, even in the shade. In really hot weather it's not unusual for some to stand in the water to help them cool off. I also always have various ages of chicks and chickens in the flock, multiple waterers makes sure they can all get a drink when they want it.

If yours are all the same age and you have lots of shade where they can stay cool, one is probably enough. But the way I go about it I prefer more.

8. Erin80

Erin80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2017
    We have a watering station on the opposite side of the yard to the coop....they use it ALL the time. They have water in their coop as well.

9. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn Premium Member

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    I always have two water sources for any group of birds. (In my case, a waterer in the coop and a large pan of water in the run/paddock area). This time of year, the consequences of something going wrong (running dry, spilling, leaking) are potentially fatal here in south Texas.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by