water fountain for the chickens

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
My husband and I put this jar fountain beside the house for the dogs and chickens. The coop is way down the hill from the house and because the chickens spend alot of time at the house we thought they might get thirsty sometimes. It was so easy. We bought a plastic whiskey barrel liner from Lowe's and a ceramic jar. My husband drilled a hole in the bottom of the jar. We then stacked bricks inside the barrel liner for the pot to sit on. Add a pump and your done. We were through in 1hr from begining to end. Our inside dog begs to go outside to drink from it. It's cold even in the hottest part of summer and because the water is moving we don't turn it off in the winter. We just pull the hose over about every other week and fill it up.

Flutter is filthy because she had just been dustbathing and it's been raining all week here
8175_dscf2621_edited.jpg

Last edited:
We don't put anything in the water. when leaves fall or grass clipping get in it we put the hose in the bottom and it washes everything out and fills it with fresh water. The only problem I could foresee is when you wash it out it would get your run wet and if you have chicks around it you will need to put mesh or something like that around it so the chicks won't fall in and drown.The water stay fresh and as the chickens and dogs drink it we add more so I guess a small amount to bleach from county water goes in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom