Water freezing question

Yes. I'm not sure what kind of waterer you have however. If it's a bucket or something with a lid and nipples, this would be good. Most fish tank heaters I have seen are glass, you don't want it in an open container where it risks getting broken by the chickens if it is a glass model. There are other things that are a bit more hard wearing for outdoors, stock tank heaters, bird bath and/or pond de-icers. You may find something more suitable at the ranch supply store.

Could I put a fish tank heater in my chicken water to keep it from freezing?
Not a very good idea. Depending on the model, they can peck the glass tube, break it and get electrocuted.

You have 3 choices.
1)If you have a metal waterer, you can get a heater base for that to put under the waterer to keep it frost free. Only for indoors. Cost for the base: $50.
2) a plastic heated waterer. (store bought or DIY) (both indoors and outdoors)
3) A heated dog bowl with a brick placed in the middle. (Not for chicks that can fall in and drown) Cheapest solution and works just fine. (both indoors and outdoors)

I use a heated dog bowl. It keeps water just above freezing, which is all you need.
Aquarium heaters are meant to keep the water much warmer, but I know people have used them successfully. Do a search to find details.

I use a heated dog bowl. It keeps water just above freezing, which is all you need.
Aquarium heaters are meant to keep the water much warmer, but I know people have used them successfully. Do a search to find details.
I use a dog bowl as well. I had one break last winter because it couldnt keep up with the cold but TSC exchanged it for free. Our winters are not usually that cold.

I do wonder if instead of an aquarium heater if you could use a filter motor to keep the water flowing so that it does not freeze. I've never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom