Water freezing question

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Premium member
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
Yes. I'm not sure what kind of waterer you have however. If it's a bucket or something with a lid and nipples, this would be good. Most fish tank heaters I have seen are glass, you don't want it in an open container where it risks getting broken by the chickens if it is a glass model. There are other things that are a bit more hard wearing for outdoors, stock tank heaters, bird bath and/or pond de-icers. You may find something more suitable at the ranch supply store.

ethbarry

Songster
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Henderson TN
Could I put a fish tank heater in my chicken water to keep it from freezing?
Not a very good idea. Depending on the model, they can peck the glass tube, break it and get electrocuted.

You have 3 choices.
1)If you have a metal waterer, you can get a heater base for that to put under the waterer to keep it frost free. Only for indoors. Cost for the base: $50.
2) a plastic heated waterer. (store bought or DIY) (both indoors and outdoors)
3) A heated dog bowl with a brick placed in the middle. (Not for chicks that can fall in and drown) Cheapest solution and works just fine. (both indoors and outdoors)

SueT

Crossing the Road
Premium member
May 27, 2015
SW MO
I use a heated dog bowl. It keeps water just above freezing, which is all you need.
Aquarium heaters are meant to keep the water much warmer, but I know people have used them successfully. Do a search to find details.

ethbarry

Songster
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Henderson TN
M
I found one that is submersible
most are submersible. I had a submersible one also. It was still glass that could break. They also tend to keep the water at a higher temperature than a frost free chicken waterer. If you have a submersible NON glass heater that can be set to a low temperature that is not going to break the bank, by all means.

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
I use a heated dog bowl. It keeps water just above freezing, which is all you need.
Aquarium heaters are meant to keep the water much warmer, but I know people have used them successfully. Do a search to find details.
I use a dog bowl as well. I had one break last winter because it couldnt keep up with the cold but TSC exchanged it for free. Our winters are not usually that cold.

I do wonder if instead of an aquarium heater if you could use a filter motor to keep the water flowing so that it does not freeze. I've never tried it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom