Water given to quail

SuseyQ

Chirping
Feb 5, 2016
Hi,
I'm concerned about using tap water for my quail since it has fluoride in it and chlorine. Have any of you folks had problems with using city water? If so what have you used instead? I know you are supposed to add Apple Cider Vinegar to the water to assist in the health of the quail. Is there anything else I should know about the type of water that is best for quail?

Thank You,
SuseyQ

Find out if your water is treated with chlorine, chloramines, or both. If it's chlorine, boiling it or even letting it sit for a few days will allow the chlorine to off-gas. If it's chloramines, boiling won't help but you may be able to filter it out with a Berkey filter, but I'm not sure.

You're best off without chlorine or chloramine, but it won't kill them and may not be noticeable. Your best bet, if you don't want either, would be to collect rainwater, but you do have to be careful to collect it cleanly and not allow too much bacterial growth.

The free chlorine or chloramine used in your public system is not going to hurt your birds. I have been personally responsible for several public water systems over the last 25 years and still am today. I have studied this for decades and still go to classes on the subject every year. You and your birds are safer with chlorine than without it, this is fact..... I have also raised countless 1000's of quail, chukar and chickens on public/city/treated water and still do..... Change out their water when its empty or dirty and you not have water related problems with your birds. I promise....... Bill

The free chlorine or chloramine used in your public system is not going to hurt your birds. I have been personally responsible for several public water systems over the last 25 years and still am today. I have studied this for decades and still go to classes on the subject every year. You and your birds are safer with chlorine than without it, this is fact..... I have also raised countless 1000's of quail, chukar and chickens on public/city/treated water and still do..... Change out their water when its empty or dirty and you not have water related problems with your birds. I promise....... Bill

Agreed! (from a former water treatment chemist)

CT

Bill and CT
That is so... good to know. What about the fluoride? Does that cause any problems or just stronger beaks? Using tap water will make my life so much simpler.

Another question about water: How do you folks keep your water from freezing? Do you rely on the heat you provide in the winter to keep it in liquid form?

SuseyQ

Hi, tap water is perfectly fine IMO. Can't help with the freezing water issue - I live in Kenya and thankfully we never have that problem here
big_smile.png
. I'm sure there must be threads on the topic - try searching something like "freezing water" or some such - I'm sure you will find info on how members prevent water from freezing.

All the best
CT

We're looking into getting quail and worried about this as well. I already have a Big Berkey for my family (which I think is definitely the best countertop water filter you can get, just my opinion :) ) but I'm worried it would be difficult to filter all the quails' water through it. Thinking about getting a whole house filter and then pouring their water through the faucet. That would do it!

Hi,
I'm concerned about using tap water for my quail since it has fluoride in it and chlorine. Have any of you folks had problems with using city water? If so what have you used instead? I know you are supposed to add Apple Cider Vinegar to the water to assist in the health of the quail. Is there anything else I should know about the type of water that is best for quail?

Thank You,
SuseyQ

If you put water in a contanior (Ex. Milk Jug) and take the lid of and let it sit for 24 hours the chlorine ect will evaporate.

To prevent freezing, I just use an aquarium heater. You just have to be sure that the water level always covers the heater. I'm using a water system I built myself with a five gallon bucket pvc tubes and chicken cups. Plenty of room to dro a small aquarium heater in.

Back
Top Bottom