water hanging or on the ground

I don't hang mine, but I DO have it elevated on a cement block so they can't poop in it, or dirt doesn't get kicked/splashed in it. I have no trouble keeping it clean.

I place mine up off the ground so they don't throw debris in it. I have 2 bricks with a stepping stone on top to sit my five gallon plastic waterer on.Works great.I tried hanging ones before and they kept swinging it and all the water got throwed out.

Last edited:
i am gonna have to do that. i did have mine just on a thin piece of wood just to keep it level. those are good ideas. i love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started out with mine on the ground . . . it got nasty within minutes, it seemed. So I installed a hook and hung it. That lasted a couple months, but now they've learned to tip it over and drain all the water out. So I guess I will have to put a cement block under it to keep it steady so they can't tip it over. But the little rascals will figure out some other way to mess it up!
idunno.gif

I like them out of the way like this:

62744_inswater.jpg

They can hold more water and do not waste any space. Also they are very clean so you save time since you don't have to scrub them clean like you do with hanging waterers.

I like the hanging as well for both food and water. For me they stay a lot cleaner and it gives the birds a little more floor space. When it's very hot, they like to lay under the waterers and I find I don't have food wastage......they peck at any that may fall out. The cups look neat, I would probably like those as well but the ones I have are fine.

In the tractors I hang them.
2011-07-19%25252019.28.05.jpg

Keeps the water cleaner and I don't have to take them out before I can move the tractor.

In the hen yard I have them jacked up on blocks. The waterer on top of two blocks with another block off to one side for the shorter birds to stand on so they can reach the water.

Back
Top Bottom