Water in coop

sonjap

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Parker, CO
Hi all. I'm in Colorado and my chickens refuse to leave the coop when there is snow on the ground. Since this storm we are currently having is going to keep temps below freezing for an entire week, I'm concerned about the water situation. I know the importance of ventilation but I read recently you shouldn't even have their water inside the coop because it adds too much moisture. Obviously I can't let them go a whole week without water. Do I give them water a few times a day, removing it after they have all had a drink? Does a water dish really put that much moisture in the coop that's it's that much of a concern?

hu.gif
I always have water in my coop. I place it on top of two cinder clocks and then the cookie tin water heater with the waterer on top. Keeps it high enough that they don't normally get their bedding in it.

I'm interested in hearing more about this, I've never read that before.

My chickens, with the exception of a little bantam roo, do not like to go out into the run after it snows. So, there are many times when I need to put water into the coop. I have never had a problem with moisture. Ventilation is your friend.

I have shoveedl/sweept out a small area in the run. The birds will fly from the coop to the small cleared patch, as long as they can see that there is a non-white surface to land on. Once out, they do manage to wander around and get used to the snow. I think that it might be difficult for them to gauge a landing spot in the snow from up in the coop, but once they're down they can see things more clearly.

No need to overthink. Do what make sense to you and... keep a sharp eye on how it works out.

In the cold, air is usually saturated anyway, evident by how long it takes to dry cloth in the winter compared to summer. The waterer shouldn't make a difference, with enough venting.

I keep the waterer in the coop, look for condensate or frost in the coop wall, ceiling, etc. seeing none. Birds have been just fine for many winters now.

My big hens who free range do have water in the coop, actually right now a heated dog bowl, i have done winters they have been fine.. it's not an excessive amount of water and it's a well vented roomy coop, there isn't anywhere to put it.. outside is not practical since they lack a pen and the dogs would drink the water.

This article stated water that gets the bedding wet. I have never had the problem in 20 years. My water is on top a 6 -8 inch tall plastic crate & now is even higher on top the water heater. My hens have never spilled water all over & I've never had a problem with water in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom