Water in winter

Quote:
You know, I've been reading about those tests (which are always worded "can" rather than "do"). They suggest that evaporation can play a role in that (less water in the container due to evap). But my hypothesis would be that when using those thick rubber livestock bowls, the rubber would absorb some of the heat from the hot water (or cold from the cold water), and would help hold whichever temp. stable, longer. Maybe I need to do a test...lol.
tongue.png

We did it as a class experiment. Hot drops temperature faster but never catches up with cold. Result, cold water freezes faster than hot water.

Quote:
We are also in NJ and last night it went down to 20 degrees!
I'm all for low maintenance and with the watering its the same thing.
My coop is right outside the back door of my garage, so I am using a 5 gallon paint pail that I added a hose bib to. Attached to that is a 15 foot garden hose that is wrapped with a heated wire and covered in foam tape. The other end is connected to a 2" PVC pipe that has two nipples in it that I got on Ebay for $6. Since the total length is 16 feet, the heated wire I purchased is 18 feet long so it can be wrapped around the PVC at the other end.
So far the water is flowing fine.
The heated wire only comes on below freezing.

Seems to me I saw on here awhile back about someone using car or marine batteries to rig up something to keep the water unfrozen. A 'search' on here might find you something. I have to go right now but will try to look when I get back later. Good luck. P.S. we use the little light in a cookie tin that we learned about on here - but you need electricity for that.

Quote:
Hey if you are going the 12vdc path a few solar panels will do the trick to keep the batteries charged, even in the winter! You can find them on Ebay. About $30 each one.

Quote:
Would a heated brick or rock work to keep the water from freezing a bit longer than just putting the water out each morning? I thought about setting two on the furnace in the basement and alternating them as needed.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

This is the easiest cheapest way to provide liquid water to chickens in winter. Bring Warm water out to fill in the morning and empty when the chickens roost for the night. The wood acts as insulation and replace with an empty clean milk jug if it gets dirty. Partner available water with a full jug of hot in really cold weather.

The only thing I worry about is the vapor from the hot water settling on wattles and combs. I mean, we all take such care to keep humidity in our coops from settling on our birds so they don't get frostbitten, so it would stand to reason that so much humidity right in their faces could have the same effect. And I had a chick who stepped in water ...... the resulting frostbite was a nightmare for him and for me.

(You can read Scout's story by clicking on his link in my signature.)

Back
Top Bottom