Water Leaking from Chicken Bumhole

If she is passing egg white from a broken egg, it might be a good idea to insert a finger just inside the vent to check for any remaining shell or membrane. Wear a disposable glove if you have one. Having an egg break inside will make them feel lousy, and make sure that you have some calcium (crushed oyster shell) available. You can also feed her a tums in some food. Here is a nifty diagram of chicken anatomy:

View attachment 1696506

I agree with it might be a broken internal egg.

The "white" of an egg is clear and liquidy, not white. It only becomes white after being cooked. I think you should take the advice given about possible egg breaking inside. If she has never laid an egg this could be her first. First eggs are often soft, weak or even shelless. Offer her oyster shell found in feed stores, or egg shells crushed up so she doesn't recognize it as an egg. Or the tums as mentioned earlier. These provide calcium, imperative in the diet to make hard shells.

Could it be vent gleet/
I had a look at the symptoms and it kind of suggests she should be looking generally unwell, but she's absolutely radiant. It also says it's more of a white colour. Thanks for putting it out there though, I'm starting to suspect maybe it is an egg issue, so I'm REALLY hoping this resolves itself before someone has to "intervene." Ugh!

Considering you all might be right about the egg issue theory. While I say she doesn't usually lay, she usually drops at least a dozen a year, and she's just come out of a mault and I did just notice thismorning her comb is in full lay mode again. She is also 4.5 years old so I'm not sure if that makes any difference? Will keep you updated.

Ok so to conclude, she seemed to maybe just have a bad bout of diahorrea. I have nfi. She came good a couple of days later thank god, because I had to hold her in the car for 2 hours. No more leaks.

BTW - Quokka are some of my favorite animals!
QuokkaRottnest2.jpg

Glad she's on the mend!

I'd love to see a picture of your gorgeous hen. My curiosity is piqued because of your descriptions....
She would totes kill me if I refused! She's looking fab at the moment, but just realised all my today photos are on my phone, so will get a more glam shot of her tomorrow (we're on holidays in NSW and she seems to be really enjoying exploring the new garden). Stay tuned...

Back
Top Bottom