water leaking into nest boxes

what about a tire tube cut to size
Or pan liner for under shower pans? I don't know how they'd hold up under UV lights but
they're cheap to get anywhere

This is why I decided not to do an exterior nest box. We get a lot of rain here so I figured it would just be a matter of time before water started to leak in. I really wanted to do an external box so I could maximize space in the coop, but the concern about water was the deciding factor.

In addition to using something waterproof-durable-flexible as flashing over the hinge, you could also use that (or wood I suppose) to make long flaps or sides going down from the 3 free edges of the nestbox lid. I think you'd want them going as far down the sides of the nestboxes as is structurally-stable, stopping just short of either a) wibbliness or b) their getting in your way when you open the lid and want to reach in for eggs. That should defeat an awful lot of your sideways-blown rain.

You are likely to get SOME leakage into exterior nestboxes no matter what, though, unless they are in a very protected location. That is just a basic downside of the arrangement. If your coop is high enough, you could consider rebuilding the nestboxes on the interior of the coop (high enough that chickens can still walk under them so you are not losing any useful floorspace, but still lower than your roosts) with just an access hatch flat against the coop wall. You will still have to worry about flashing/gasketing/etc but at least whatever bit of weather blows in will not soak the nestbox nearly so badly.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I used a piece of linoleum cut to size and screwed to the lid and wall. I used the washer type screws you use for metal. It has kept them dry and I can lift the lid without any problem. It was foam backed linoleum which is used like a floating floor in houses. Flexible but does not tear easily. It was an Armstrong product at Lowe's and is a wood design made to look like hardwood floors.

Last edited:
You guys have GREAT IDEAS.
I'm so glad I asked. I'll get it all slicked up this weekend and post pics of the solution I use. It will depend on what I can find at home depot. I'm leaning toward the linoleum coving as I think it will be easy to install, durable, cheap, actually work, etc.
I'm going to cut it longer than the width of the nest boxes, screw it into the wall slightly above, as it is wide enough to cover my hinge area...... and then chaulk the seam between wall and coving where I just screwed it onto the vertical wall.
I hope that will keep all water from running under it and just send it down the normal slope of the boxes without it being able to drip in the hinge seam.
pics to come tomorrow, depending on weather

glad the topic helped some others too
big_smile.png

thanks very one!

Linoleum tends to curl at the edges when not glued down or otherwiwse completly fastened down on all points when exposed to the elements due to the different properties of top and bottom surfaces.

Quote:
Will the coving stuff you put on the edges up the walls curl too?
should I find something else?

See if your local home center sells pond equipment, in particular, EPDM pond liner. They usually have a roll and they sell it by the foot. The also might sell strip EPDM, so I'd look for that too.

If you take a piece of EPDM, and cover the hingeline of your boxes, it should fix the leaks perfectly. Just staple it in place, and that should do the trick. If you're worried about the staples leaking, you can cover those with some roofing cement.

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom