water leaking into nest boxes

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I wonder if any of you can share your solutions. The eves are no use when the rain is being blown sideways, hitting the wall and then seeping into the nest boxes in the seam that is hinged on the lid.
There is a strip of wood (part of the box frame) that is inserted into the wall for my external nest box, that is sealed.
Then there is the hinged lid.
on top of the box, against the wall, I have covered the gap/hinge seam, with a strip of wood with a weather stripping plastic sweeper attached that is supposed to go on the bottom of a door. This works great except when the rain is intense like it's been this week. I have had to pull all pine shavings out of the nest boxes a few times this week already.

I covered it all with plastic sheeting held down with bricks, but I really think it is sideways rain blown into the wall above it that runs down and then under the weather stripping and drips into the boxes via the seam that must move due to hinges.
it's still leaking some.

what did you do? I obviously have a design flaw I need to correct

thanks

I took a heavy piece of rubber. I work with high voltage so I used what is called an insulated rubber blanket. It is used to cover power lines so a lineman can work in close proximity. Anyway I cut a strip about 6 inches wide and a few inches longer than the nest box lid hinge. I first ran a heavy bead of silicone caulk on the coop outside wall above the hinge. I Then screwed the rubber to the wall so it overlaps the hinge and the nest box lid. I then dressed the rubber piece up by putting a piece of wood trim over it but above the hinge point. Then I again ran a heavy bead of silicone caulk above the wood trim and finished with matching trim paint. The only part of the rubber flap you can see is the part that overlaps the hinge onto the nest box lid. Mine is positively 100% water tight. Hope this helps you.

Quote:
Excellent
I will see what home depot has to offer that is like an insulated rubber blanket.
thanks very much for the explanation!

I don't even want to think about what my coop will look like after this next storm.

Crossin' my fingers and hoping for the best.
fl.gif

Mediazeal, your problem is our problem too, a design flaw, but one we should be able to fix as Callemin suggests. I've had our nest boxes covered with a multifolded tarp held down by bricks also, and the boxes have stayed dry for two months, but this is a temporary awkward solution. Just last night we were discussing cutting a wide rubber strip to apply to lay down over the nest box cover. With these directions and tips, we'll go ahead and get this done once we get some warmer dryer weather. Good luck to you; good luck to us! Here's to happpier, drier hens:) ~G

Last edited:
To fix that problem on our ourdoor nest boxes I bought a roll of something that is installed as mop board along the bottom of walls in bathrooms or kitchens. It is rubbery, about 4" tall and comes in rolls, various colors, usually near the vinyl flooring section at the big box stores. I used gorilla glue to glue it on above the box (cut the strip to be longer than the width of your nestbox so that you have overhang for drippage) and mounted the doors on the top of the box at a slope so that the water would run off rather than pool there.

Quote:
Briteday used what I would use in your place. But what i would try first is to remove the lid. Then, using a short, 90-degree pry tool and hammer, loosen the coop siding where the hinges mount to the coop. Then slide the vinyl baseboard up into the opening, under the siding, and then nail/screw the siding back into place. This will make the siding overlap the seal as a roof shingle overlaps it's lower neighboring shingle. Then re-attach the lid and you are done. You will have to trim for the hinges to work and mount back where they should. Caulk around each hinge using what I recommend next:

If you decide to surface-mount your seal as others have suggested on here, then use Sonneborne NP 1 sonolastic caulk. It blows away silicone caulk for repelling water and will last for decades. You will have to buy it at a roofing supply place as it is not sold at home improvement stores.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom