Water managment

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi
frow.gif

I am new to chicken keeping, caring for my first flock as of 4 weeks ago.

I hear a lot of talk about putting electrolites and vitamins in the chickens water.

What I am wondering is what are the conditions in which this would be necessary?

General maintenance of the flock, illness, hot weather, etc...

Any clarification on this would be great, I want to make sure that I am doing everything right
to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks

The main time to add electrolytes and/or vits would be when your chicks are under stress, heat, illness, or any other situation that may lower or compromise their immune system or their ability of their body to regulate what is needed to survive. Usually you can find at feed store in small packs of 3--usually enough for 5 day supply if used and mixed fresh daily. (1 packet for 1 gallon of fresh water). I started my chicks out with them and just mixed up fresh 1 qt- 1/2 tsp per day and I am just finishing them up...so of course it has lasted me longer than 5 days..but I knew it would not hurt them to continue.. And they have been doing fine. I plan to buy another 3 pack and just have on hand for emergencies if needed b/c you never know..

Ok, Thanks,

It has been hot here in the middle to upper 90's. So far all are doing well.

I was wondering if extreme heat would be a good time to put some electrolites in
their water.

I think I will do that tomorrow.

thumbsup.gif

I'm pretty new myself, but I have put some in their water a couple of days because I had it on hand and a friend suggested it. However, I do put apple cider vinegar in their water regularly because it is reputed to guard against worms and I think it keeps the water fresher and purer. You can find discussions on this on the forum here.

I just use water and make sure it's fresh about twice a day. Scenerios are different for chicken raisers. In my case I use tap water and medicated feed until 2 weeks, then mix with flock feed until they are older to lay then mix again to taper off onto pellets.

with the heat and humidity being the way it has been I think it would be a good idea to use the electrolytes and vits in their water for a few days. But dont over do it--measure it out--I mean it doesn't have to be exactly precise--but more of thepowder in less water isn't always better. Mix as close to the measurement as directed.
1 small pack equals 1 gallon water or 1/2 tsp equals 1 qrt water...

Thank you so much your clarification on the vitamin and electrolites in the water.

I did put a little in their water this morning when I let them out. We have had extreme heat
here in Tennessee and there is not end in site for now.

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to put a box fan in the coop? I was wondering because I a
afraid that they chickens will be more afraid of it than anything. I have 5 wk old chicks.

Here is a picture of my coop see what you all think about putting box fan in it.

60013_dscf4434.jpg

60013_dscf4430.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my chicks, they are 5 wks old.

I do know of people putting box fans in their runs--I think it may upset your chicks at first but they should adjust to it. If you feel you may need to place one there--it will at least cause some air-flow through the run to help ease the heat a bit. Could'nt hurt as long as they can't get into the blades.

Our chickens go into a big plywood box at night. We just replaced the roof with wire and I laid a box fan on top that blows directly on the chickens. I was concerned that they wouldn't go in the box because of the noise, but it didn't seem to matter. They were all huddled under the fan--fearless.
I am worried about one hen who is looking rather pale. Surely, this isn't hotter than it will get later in the summer or hotter than past years. They survived just fine last year. It's better this year because they free range through the heavily forested yard all day and have plenty of shade.
It's so easy to worry about these guys.

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to put a box fan in the coop? I was wondering because I a
afraid that they chickens will be more afraid of it than anything. I have 5 wk old chicks.

Here is a picture of my coop see what you all think about putting box fan in it.

Looks like you have some 5 week old BO chicks, same as me!

With an open run as shown in your picture, I would first see about getting some sun shade over the top and possibly the sun side of the run. A fan is about the
best (and possibly only) way we have of cooling down here in the deep south. It is what the commercial chicken people use in their 1 chicken per sq foot barns.
Fans and shade. The chicks will get use to the fans, so use 'em if you got 'em.

Amazing weather we are having isn't it? The week I got my chicks we set record low temperatures. Two weeks later we are setting record highs.​

Back
Top Bottom