Water Moccasins in Pond

nddaddy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
We just bought some land (3 acres). In part of clearing it off, there is a pond with water moccasins in it.

I'd like to keep the pond to keep ducks as well.

Do guineas do a good job of getting rid of them? Also I'm not out there everyday, is that okay for guineas?

I know nothing about water moccasins other than that they are poisonous and they can swim... so I have no personal experience with Guineas controlling them. Guineas won't go in the water, but if the snakes come onto land often the Guineas may help control them, but it's hard to say. Some Guineas are very effective snake control, others are not. Mine take care of rattle snakes and gopher snakes of all sizes here on my 10 acres... but a lot of people say their Guineas do nothing but give the large snakes a wide birth.

WOW...water moccassins are nasty, fat and nasty. Can be large. Yes, poison and you need someone with a gun and who is a really good shot! Pigs are good at clearing out snakes, in general. But many animals will stay out of the way of a snake.......except a good ole boy and a gun.

Personally, I'd try to irradicate with the knowledge that the "deed was done".

WOW...water moccassins are nasty, fat and nasty. Can be large. Yes, poison and you need someone with a gun and who is a really good shot! Pigs are good at clearing out snakes, in general. But many animals will stay out of the way of a snake.......except a good ole boy and a gun.

Personally, I'd try to irradicate with the knowledge that the "deed was done".

This ^ is what I would do. I get rid of those creepy things asap (except I might not do the poison b/c of possible collateral damage), but I'd be the first one out there with a gun. I wouldn't depend on guineas! They're fickle little buggers.

Are you sure they are water moccasins and not non-poisonous water snakes? There are some 200 species of non-venomous water snakes in the US. They mostly feed on fish and amphibians, though bigger ones do sometimes eat small rodents and small birds which could be a problem if you will have ducklings around the pond, otherwise they will not cause problems and are beneficial to the ponds Eco system.

Yes, I'm sure they are. We've had a person come out and confirm, but they don't remove water moccasins.

I don't even have a gun, so not sure that's a route. We may consider pigs as well.

Yes, I'm sure they are. We've had a person come out and confirm, but they don't remove water moccasins.

I don't even have a gun, so not sure that's a route. We may consider pigs as well.
Then I would definetly get rid of them. I had no idea pigs would kill snakes, but that sounds like a plan.

Buy a cheap shot gun and go to work getting rid of them, They will either kill your small birds or if they happen to bite you or some else there will be a problem, It is a shame to have a nice pond and not be able to use it.

This species of snake is common prey of
snapping turtles
American alligators
horned owls
eagles,
hawks (red-shouldered),
loggerhead shrikes
and large wading birds, such as
herons, cranes and egrets.

Why not get a few herons for you pond - or an alligator!

Only joking!

I would clear the banks and land around the pond, and keep the grass very short all around. The ducks and geese will help to clear the pond vegetation. Then the snakes will disperse because they don't have any places to hide from predators or shelter.

If you keep the pond clear of vegetation, fallen trees, etc and keep the area around it open and short, you will easily be able to spot any snake on the ground and so avoid stepping on it - so you will help protect yourself form getting bitten. Also the snake will see you first and flee.

If you have a big snake problem, you could also drain the pond and go from there, It will refill, it will also give you a chance to clean out the pond.

Back
Top Bottom