Water nipples? (Vertical, Horizontal/side mount, saddle)

It's been hovering around -30F for the last 48hrs here. Yesterday 4/5 were frozen, they just needed a bit of wiggling and popping the ice plug out to free them up. This morning 2/5 were frozen, a slight jiggling freed the ice plugs up. This waterer is setup outside in the run, sheltered from the wind with a heater and no insulation.

These horizontal nipples are impressive. I can't vouch for their durability/longevity yet, but they work well in the cold!

It's been hovering around -30F for the last 48hrs here. Yesterday 4/5 were frozen, they just needed a bit of wiggling and popping the ice plug out to free them up. This morning 2/5 were frozen, a slight jiggling freed the ice plugs up. This waterer is setup outside in the run, sheltered from the wind with a heater and no insulation.

These horizontal nipples are impressive. I can't vouch for their durability/longevity yet, but they work well in the cold!
Windchill or air temp?
Where are you located?

Yikes..Brrr.
How far north?

Central. This has been one of the mildest winters I can remember in a long time. Usually by now we will have had several days touching on -40F. Mother Nature was just reminding us she can be a harsh mistress, lol.

Overnight it has warmed back up to -7F

Last edited:
I started with the saddles.. They froze and erupted right off the plastic piping. What a MESS!
I live in Massachusetts and winters can be brutal ( especially last year ) we like the regular nipples but they did freeze even with a bird bath waterer right over it in a 5 gallon bucket! Then the poor ding bat silkies forget how to use them!
I've since converted to the horizontal on a 5 gallon with the bird bath de-icer and so far they are the best. This winter hasn't been 1/4 of last year but they are superior ( imho) they don't leak at all but you can't use them on anything like a soda bottle. Gotta use the depot bucket or another thick plastic like that. Hope this helps!

Just a quick update on the horizontal nipples. I had virtually zero problems with them all winter. With nothing but a small heater in a 45 gal drum they only froze a couple times and only when temps were below about -30F. I only remember them all being frozen once, and I'm pretty sure a determined bird would have been able to free them of ice. They have yet to leak or make any sort of mess in the pen. I'd recommend them over the verticle drip nipples that constantly make a mess when the birds play with them or simply leaking. The only real drawback I can see is that they can't be used in a soda or juice bottle, they need at the least a sturdy pail to screw into. That is a problem that is easily worked around.

I have not tried them with chicks, but have no doubts they would figure them out quickly when a couple weeks old. I might try that soon, the turkeys are coming fast and furious:D:D

Just a quick update on the horizontal nipples. I had virtually zero problems with them all winter. With nothing but a small heater in a 45 gal drum they only froze a couple times and only when temps were below about -30F. I only remember them all being frozen once, and I'm pretty sure a determined bird would have been able to free them of ice. They have yet to leak or make any sort of mess in the pen. I'd recommend them over the verticle drip nipples that constantly make a mess when the birds play with them or simply leaking. The only real drawback I can see is that they can't be used in a soda or juice bottle, they need at the least a sturdy pail to screw into.

I have not tried them with chicks, but have no doubts they would figure them out quickly when a couple weeks old. I might try that soon, the turkeys are coming fast and furious:D:D
Actually that's not true, I use them in small juice bottles all the time, and other thin walled bottles..
You just have to be very careful with a cleanly drilled hole and a gentle touch when threading them in....
.....they don't have to be threaded in all the way.
I don't have any pics of the pint HDPE bottles, but here's a pic of a 32oz PETE salsa bottle.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-loaded-watering-nipples/330#post_14593735

OTH I've had a heck of a time getting chicks to use them....drives me nuts... some get it real quick others can't figure out or aren't thirsty enough to push hard enough.

Good info thanks for that aart. I admit I haven't tried them in a thin walled jug.

How old were the chicks you've tried to get onto them? I might have to make a new drinker pail today and see how they get along. The brooder has birds from 9-25 days old in it, with shavings and a lipped pail:rolleyes: Someone, somewhere didn't recommend the horizontals for chicks less than 10days IIRC. They sure would nice to use for younger chicks, my current turkey chicks just love to rattle the vertical nipples until all the water has drained out into the shavings. They are worse than my kids for making a mess, lol.

Last edited:
Good info thanks for that aart. I admit I haven't tried them in a thin walled jug.

How old were the chicks you've tried to get onto them? I might have to make a new drinker pail today and see how they get along. The brooder has birds from 9-25 days old in it, with shavings and a lipped pail:rolleyes: Someone, somewhere didn't recommend the horizontals for chicks less than 10days IIRC. They sure would nice to use for younger chicks, my current turkey chicks just love to rattle the vertical nipples until all the water has drained out into the shavings. They are worse than my kids for making a mess, lol.
I've read and had various experiences with the HN's.....the main key might be starting them out at a day old with no other waterer exposure.
I've always been to nervous to do that, tho I did have some 2-3 day olds pick it pretty quick...all the others took longer to figure it out.

From what I've seen there's no hard and fast 'rules' that garner success...tho removing all other waterers does help,
but can be nerve racking and should not be done in extreme weather where dehydration could be seriously quick.

Back
Top Bottom