Water nipples? (Vertical, Horizontal/side mount, saddle)

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
So after I ordered the birds I was so excited and ordered some stuff before I even got them and one of those was watering nipples. I thought that I had read vertical nipples were the ones less likely to freeze so ordered those but now I'm hearing the opposite as well as hearing saddle nipples mentioned so now I'm a bit confused.

I just now ordered some stuff on Amazon that I had in my cart and forgot about, one of those being horizontal nipples, but then right after I remembered saddle and put in another order but luckily shipping was free.

I know it probably is stupid to order so many of these things and probably a waste but it's only a couple bucks and I don't know, I already did it so too late.

I went overboard on the vertical nipples and got both a 25 pack and a 10 pack but the horizontal is a 5 pack I think and saddle I think is 10 so... Lots of nipples xD I can save for a later flock though or give away or something.

Anyway.

My point is I will now have all 3 nipples so I can do either and I also ordered a de-icer to avoid the freezing.

Soooo....

Which do you think is better?? I live in Massachusetts so freezing is a concern but not as much as some parts of the country.

ALSO.

Which watering system is best? I know it's probably personal preference but just wondering.

By system I mean like where to put the nipples but I guess that's why there's different nipples.

I was originally going to put the vertical nipples on the bottom of the bucket which is why I got them but then I heard about horizontal so was planning on putting them on the side of a bucket. I hear 55 gallon drum is best for some people but our flock isn't big enough for that at only 8 birds. Well now I've been hearing and really liking the PVC pipe idea. From what I've seen, people seem to have an igloo drink cooler outside and then a pipe running down and inside. I like that because it seems to me like it would be a lot easier to fill and more automatic, not that I don't like going in with them.

Now if I do that though I'm not really sure how that works... Are the saddle nipples necessary or can you put the horizontal ones in the pipe?

Just trying to figure out the best and easiest way to feed and water the flock and prevent freezing.

Also, my chicks just turned 3 weeks old on Monday and I reallyyyy do not like this open waterer. Gets dirty way too fast and starting to leak I think.

We have this one and I think it's one of the best but I just don't like the whole idea of open waterers in general. Was fine when they were little but now constantly dirty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006ZUNKOW/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B006ZJHDNM_pbi

Soo.. I can start chicks on a nipple waterer right? Assuming I should wait for the horizontal? Should be Friday I think.

Thank you in advance for any help.

We did some one day old on HN's, but not everyone truly picked up on them until about day seven. That was nerve racking, especially with the smaller chicks that couldn't actually move the nipple and make water come out.

Now, we do several phases:
1 day - 1 week: open waterer (they just sleep anyways so who cares...lol).
1 week - 2 week: fount waterer, with nipple drinker available (for visual only).
3 week +: sink or swim with the older chicks, immediate training upon entry, but nothing afterwards. There is no other water available, just education on how to use the nipples.

We have never lost a bird to this method and it seems to work pretty well. No vertical nips, only horizontal for us!

Bumping this a bit because I wanna get started. Also, I suppose I should probably make a new thread but can chicks eat from the homemade feeders I've seen with street elbows? And if so, do they just instinctually know food is in there or do you have to show them?

I'm in Ontario where it gets really cold. No one around here seems to have nipples or cups of any kind. But we've got the bucket hanging in our coop with the vertical nipples on the bottom. We purchased a deicer that will just sit in the bottom of the bucket. Luckily we haven't had to use it yet.

We also only have 9 birds so anything larger is really not worth it. But I wonder if you use a tank and PVC system, how would you keep the water nearest the nipples/cups from freezing? This is why we decided to go the cheap route and only do a bucket. The bucket lasts so long! We always end up refreshing the water before they run out anyways.

Here's a pic of our simple system.

I really hope this works for us this winter. Please let me know if you find one works better than another since you have all of the systems. :)

Thank you for your input! :)

I definitely thought the bucket seemed like one of the best but then was nervous about it freezing. Although hopefully with the deicer it won't be an issue, like you said. Perhaps I will try both the vertical and the horizontal nipples on the bucket.

But yeah, I feel like cheap is definitely better and I wasn't sure about how to keep the water in the pipe freezing either. Didn't really think about it, actually, but that's a good point. I guess I figured the deicer would keep it warm enough? Maybe not though. I think I have seen some people suggest heat tape or a heating rod inside but not sure if they work and all that might get expensive.

I will definitely let you know though!

That would be great if it lasts a long time. :)

I have 2 standard 7gal waterer, it's a pita to bring one in to thaw while the other in the coop. I haven't found anything I "like" for a heater for those. I also have several buckets with vertical nipples on them, I really like them, but my birds prefer the other pan style waterer. The problem I have with them is they drip on occasion and I want to put the buckets inside to help warm them. I can't risk flooding my coop so these buckets aren't really a winter option in my mind.

Yesterday I finally broke down and ordered 20 horizontal nipples to try out. My plan is to build a stand, insulate a barrel, put in a sinking heater and 10 or so nipples. The warm water should keep the nipples thawed and the girls happy!

I hope they get here soon, our temps are around 0F right now and in another month -40F isn't out of the question.

I didn't want laying hens for this exact reason, the family talked me into them. Don't tell DW I'd miss 'em if they were gone. Hopefully these nipples solve the water problem.

Good luck, I'll post back here when I get the barrel up and running.

Yeah, the open waterers really are a pita :/ I haven't had to deal with frozen water yet with the chicks but they've been inside the first 3 weeks and only just moved outside the other day. Plus it's been unseasonably warm until this week. Theirs does sometimes like though and it was a pain because I would change it and forget to check under the bricks often, for a day or two at a time sometimes until I started remembering, and it would be completely damp or a.little damp, which is obviously unhealthy for little babies or any bird. So then I tried to check it regularly but was constantly removing shavings and adding them. May try a bucket with horizontal nipples. Maybe a smaller bucket for now though. But it seems to be that would be great because with the horizontal nipples I could just set it down right on the bricks or even directly on shavings if I make the nipples high enough and no more leaking waterer or birds perching in the waterer. Even with the vertical ones I could maybe put a tray underneath.

I like you're idea with the barrel though and I hope it works out! Let me know if it does! How are you planning on insulating it?

But oh boy, that's COLD!! It doesn't get nearly that cold here. To us, 0 is cold :p it does get to negative sometimes but the most is like 0 to -10 or sometimes negative teens. We do get wind chill and snow though.

Hopefully they will solve it for you! I'm the one that wanted the birds here :)

Thank you and hopefully it works out for you

I haven't decided how to insulate it yet. Maybe a box with insulation that fits over it, or bubble back insulation (basically bubble wrap with reflective coverings on it).

S

I live in NY and it can get down to zero or a little below. I"ve used this heated waterer for three years now with no problems at all.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...kens/heated-chicken-waterer-zm0z13fmzhun.aspx

I made some mods from the original design:
I couldn't find a 3ft heat tape so used a 6ft.
I added a layer of 1/2 foam on the bottom with holes cut for the nipples and covered it with the bottom that was cut from the outer bucket, this protected it from chicken pecking.
I cut a piece of 1 inch foam to fit inside the bucket about 1/4 of the way down and I keep the water level below the foam.

With this setup the water is almost steamy when I change it. I think the tape draws about 45watts, a 3ft should draw 1/2 that.

Thank you everyone for the input! I'll check everything out. :)

Also my de-icer got here today along with the saddle nipples, nutri drench and save a chick (just in case/for stressful situations. Or future chicks), the cord connect (the thing to protect the extension cord connection from the elements/water etc) and thermocube. Not sure how I'm gonna use the thermocube but all but saddle nipples were in my cart and I figure they're all useful in some way even if I decide not for the chickens. Still waiting on the horizontal nipples and I think something else

Back
Top Bottom