Water nipples? (Vertical, Horizontal/side mount, saddle)

I would have two systems. Summer and winter.
Winter would be buckets on stands with a deicer and horizontal nipples. 8 birds so three nipples,
I would use a vertical nipple system on a pipe for summer. There will be some issues teaching them to swap but nothing difficult.
Don't bother insulating the bucket. the chicks will peck at it , The deicer will run longer but should keep it above 32.
I would use one or the other but horizontal will work on pipe as well. vertical will work on buckets but you cannot set it down on the nipples.

I don't have a freezing problem and use vertical on a pipe.

I never even thought of two systems, that is a great idea! Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. :)

Question: for very cold temperatures, wouldn't the horizontal nipples freeze up because they are further away from the heat source? I have vertical nipples on the bottom of a bucket...but ive been curious about the horizontal nipples as well. I just picture the vertical nipples being directly below the water and heater, so they should stay free from ice. I dunno. Anyone with experience on this? This is our first winter

I would keep less water in the bucket, the deicer should be able to keep 3 gallons above 32 easier than 5. Now understand, I am in Mississippi and not even northern Mississippi, but the deicer should keep either nipple unfrozen.

Sorry I never replied. :( but anyway, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm considering all the suggestions. :)

Question: for very cold temperatures, wouldn't the horizontal nipples freeze up because they are further away from the heat source? I have vertical nipples on the bottom of a bucket...but ive been curious about the horizontal nipples as well. I just picture the vertical nipples being directly below the water and heater, so they should stay free from ice. I dunno. Anyone with experience on this? This is our first winter

I changed to horizontal nipples just before heading south for the winter. It was 10 degrees in MT last night and the house sitter tells me that the new watering system is working just fine. I think vertical nipples would freeze more readily as so much of the nipples hangs below the water container. With horizontal nipples the whole nipple is in contact with the container. I'm using a clear rectangular tote (10 or 15 gallon), horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is safe to use in plastic containers.

Try a 19/32 or 9/16. use Teflon tape and don't over tighten.
Don't wallow out the hole too much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom