water pan gets so dirty!!!!

Can the dirt from the weeds be considered a form of "grit" our 7 week pullets?
If your birds are outside they pick up the grit they need from the ground. I know that my dirt is very sandy, I am sure my 7 day olds have already picked up some of it from the dirt on the roots. You can buy chick grit and pro-biotics, but I never did before, and I do not see any need to start now! Chickens have survived on dirt, grass and bugs for thousands of years.;)

If your birds are outside they pick up the grit they need from the ground. I know that my dirt is very sandy, I am sure my 7 day olds have already picked up some of it from the dirt on the roots. You can buy chick grit and pro-biotics, but I never did before, and I do not see any need to start now! Chickens have survived on dirt, grass and bugs for thousands of years.;)
They are in my garage until I finish my coop (this weekend) and then I will be working on the run. I've feed my chicks some strawberries and some tomatoes the other day without thinking, thus why I was wondering if I could just feed them some weeds and the dirt might work as grit for them. My garden is starting to come in and I'll have some veggies to feed them.

They are in my garage until I finish my coop (this weekend) and then I will be working on the run. I've feed my chicks some strawberries and some tomatoes the other day without thinking, thus why I was wondering if I could just feed them some weeds and the dirt might work as grit for them. My garden is starting to come in and I'll have some veggies to feed them.
Strawberries and tomatoes are no problem, it is grain and seeds that they need grit for. Indoor birds can use some grit, but yours will be outdoors soon!

Back
Top Bottom