Water setup for my 2 week old ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by G Wiz Ranch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I moved them from inside the garage to their new outside area. It is 8'x8' and is in our backyard. I used 4 whole 6"x8"x16" cinderblocks and 1 half block. I doug a hole and put them in with the tops level with the ground. I made a simple wood frame and covered it with 1/2" hardware cloth and coverd the bricks. The water and "mess" drops through the screen and falls into the holes in the bricks. I just use a little hand shovel and clean out the bricks, by the looks of it, I have to do it once a week. This really reduced how much water they track to the rest of the area.

I have 2 heat lamps for them at night. They will be in this setup until I finish the 24'x56' yard and 8'x16' pond that I am making for them. I think I will be done in 2-3 weeks. Once I figure out what sex they are, I will need to get rid of some of the Mallards/Roens (don't know which I have), because I only want to keep 8-10 ducks in that size yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Thats a pretty neat Idea....so smart!!! lil darlings by the way!

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    [​IMG] I'm totally going to steal this idea! don't worry, if i post pics i'll give you credit, lol. This is such a good idea. My ducks stay inside during the night and i always feel bad they don't have water/food during the night/morning but it's such a mess. I'm planning on building them a brand new sleeper pen with this idea. I think i'm going to set it up so food and water each fall through the wire and down to a kitty litter pan underneath, so it doesn't mess up my floor.

Again, how neat! I love it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I love the kitty litter pan idea.... [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow that is smart, I switched over to using one of those avian misters (yes I bought them on a whim when I could not figure out how to keep the ducks from making a mess) It has made my life so much easier but your way is much cheaper and smarter!

6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    [​IMG] Something like this is what I've been looking for! Great idea!!

7. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Great idea.

Anything to limit the mess they make is a good idea.

I might have to use this for brooding the 20+ that are cooking in the bator.

Thanks for posting this.

8. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Wow, thanks everyone for the comments. I am glad you like it. These ducks sure are messy. When I do the water for their bigger permanate home, I am going to make it a little bigger, one more outer layer of bricks.
    Thanks

9. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Clever!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Great idea [​IMG]

Right now I have two call ducks, but I have three more of those coming, and 20 ducklings coming in a week or so - so I will be needing some great ideas !!! [​IMG]

The two I have now have moved in with the chickens who free range during the day - I didn't plan it, but it got so cold and they wanted to go in with the chickens, so I let them. Their previous home had been a doghouse (duckhouse) inside a wire enclosure. They were safe, but I guess the chicken coop looked more ritzy to them [​IMG]

Not sure what to do when the others are old enough to move out with them - I have a spare coop I can use, if I can talk them into using it and not bunking with the chickens. We're going to dig a pond this summer for them - nothing huge, just a 15 x 20. But until then, this will work fantastic for me, I think.

Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by