Water setup for my 2 week old ducklings

G Wiz Ranch

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Lompoc, CA
I moved them from inside the garage to their new outside area. It is 8'x8' and is in our backyard. I used 4 whole 6"x8"x16" cinderblocks and 1 half block. I doug a hole and put them in with the tops level with the ground. I made a simple wood frame and covered it with 1/2" hardware cloth and coverd the bricks. The water and "mess" drops through the screen and falls into the holes in the bricks. I just use a little hand shovel and clean out the bricks, by the looks of it, I have to do it once a week. This really reduced how much water they track to the rest of the area.

I have 2 heat lamps for them at night. They will be in this setup until I finish the 24'x56' yard and 8'x16' pond that I am making for them. I think I will be done in 2-3 weeks. Once I figure out what sex they are, I will need to get rid of some of the Mallards/Roens (don't know which I have), because I only want to keep 8-10 ducks in that size yard.
FBDucksIMG_3123.jpg

EmailIMG_3174.jpg

love.gif
I'm totally going to steal this idea! don't worry, if i post pics i'll give you credit, lol. This is such a good idea. My ducks stay inside during the night and i always feel bad they don't have water/food during the night/morning but it's such a mess. I'm planning on building them a brand new sleeper pen with this idea. I think i'm going to set it up so food and water each fall through the wire and down to a kitty litter pan underneath, so it doesn't mess up my floor.

Again, how neat! I love it!
love.gif
hugs.gif

wow that is smart, I switched over to using one of those avian misters (yes I bought them on a whim when I could not figure out how to keep the ducks from making a mess) It has made my life so much easier but your way is much cheaper and smarter!

Great idea.

Anything to limit the mess they make is a good idea.

I might have to use this for brooding the 20+ that are cooking in the bator.

Thanks for posting this.

Wow, thanks everyone for the comments. I am glad you like it. These ducks sure are messy. When I do the water for their bigger permanate home, I am going to make it a little bigger, one more outer layer of bricks.
Thanks

Great idea
big_smile.png

Right now I have two call ducks, but I have three more of those coming, and 20 ducklings coming in a week or so - so I will be needing some great ideas !!!
lau.gif

The two I have now have moved in with the chickens who free range during the day - I didn't plan it, but it got so cold and they wanted to go in with the chickens, so I let them. Their previous home had been a doghouse (duckhouse) inside a wire enclosure. They were safe, but I guess the chicken coop looked more ritzy to them
lau.gif

Not sure what to do when the others are old enough to move out with them - I have a spare coop I can use, if I can talk them into using it and not bunking with the chickens. We're going to dig a pond this summer for them - nothing huge, just a 15 x 20. But until then, this will work fantastic for me, I think.

Thanks for sharing
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom