Water source for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cacoops, May 18, 2017.

1. cacoops

cacoops Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    Can chicks drink from watering nipples

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes!

3. Spiresbuilt

Spiresbuilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Not sure, but with my chicks.....I have had good luck with the DIY watering cups. They figured it out real quick.

4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I made a vertical nipple bucket for mine at 3 weeks. But the local feed store uses them for day old chicks. Mine figured it out right away. I love it.....water stays perfectly clean.
    Here's a video of a couple of them at 6 wks using the bucket....

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. nikki_r5

nikki_r5 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just found 3 chicks w/ one of my hens. "Surprise !"
    The nest box is @2ft. off the ground. I leaned a wood ladder to the box for the chicks (since they were able to jump down); I figure they can run up the short wood ladder ?
    Do I still give them chick feed ? They can't reach the water- is tomorrow ok ?
    Do I give them Electrolytes ?
    I "don't let them hatch eggs this was an Oops !" I don't do "Chicks !"
    Chicks are a hassle- special feed- having them separate- trying to integrate them w/ the older birds. This was "my Last chick"; I just lost my Billy Bird last night.
    She was 11 yrs & 4 mths to the day. Hatched 6-6-06 Passed 10-6-17 Billie 11 yrs 6-6-06.jpg

6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Sorry about your hen but it looks like she had a long life. :hugs Don't worry about integrating or separating them, mom will take care of everything. I always raise my chicks with the flock. You do need a higher protein for the chicks, I just use flock raiser in my feeders with oyster shell offered in a different dish for the layers. Curious, why can't they reach the water? What system are you using? I'm not sure if the chicks will be able to use the ladder to an upper nest, I have never had great luck with my broodies in an upper nest. I worry too much about the chicks falling out or not getting back up there. I move mom and babies to a floor nest after the chicks hatch to make everything simple. I fence them off for 1 day just to let mom and babies settle in. On the second day, she has them outside with the rest of the flock. I do not use electrolytes. Congratulations on the new flock members!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes chicks can use nipples. Lever style cups, though, can be more challenging fur them in the first weeks due to their lesser strength than a larger bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by