Water spilled overnight/ half my chicks dying!

The only time I’ve heard of this happening was in a book about chickens. The woman popped a Pyrex dish full of the chicks in her oven! Apparently it worked, although I wouldn’t recommend.

I wish I would have read this sooner so if some of them were even barely alive you could save them by heating pads and a blow dryer and they would have perked right back up and survived I've done it many times honey I'm so sorry for your loss God bless you

I was able to put them back in the incubator, and only one died out of 14. 😊

I learned the hard way to have my waterers and feeders on top of plywood. The first reason is so they can’t dig under it and tip it over. The second reason is that you can get it perfectly level so it doesn’t drain out.

I got up this morning to check on my day old baby quail chicks and 1/2 of them were cold and dying! The water somehow spilled into the whole tote I have them in! I moved them all back into the incubator, looks like it’s helping but I’m pretty sure I lost at least 2. How can I prevent this from happening again? I had them on shavings, and just changed to paper towels.View attachment 2432969
Not sure if you can use this on quail, but for my chickens I used the Rent A Coop Automatic Fill Chick Cup Drink waterer, around $13. Again, not sure if this is interchangeable for quail but it worked wonders for me. I didn't use the fill cup, just the nipple style water dispenser and attached to the side of their brooder. Similar issues to what you stated, they kept spilling the water nonstop and it would end up on them, they would get cold and wet and it was a viscous cycle. Good Luck. Hope they were able to regain their health after you placed them back in the incubator.

I use one of the smallest waterers you can get from Tractor Supply - the plastic one with the white cylinder water holder and red bottom. And I always put marbles in the water part to keep the quail chicks and my chicken chicks from drowning. The chicks won't be able to turn it over. I hope all the chicks survived, but if not, I'm sorry for your loss.I went outside and brought one in to photograph for you. Excuse this one. It's been well used as we've been raising quail, chickens & ducks going on 7 years and all the babies have probably had turns at every one of these I have.

Attachments

• 20201211_181522.jpg
    20201211_181522.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom