Water stage 2

Whiskybear

Songster
Jan 4, 2022
I’m a year into this with quail now. I’m starting to get the processes refined. Teaching them to drink a few different ways at stages of their growth is in the playbook. They start with a gravity trough under a mason jar; pebbles for the first day or two, then without. Around day 4 or 5 I introduce this tiny ball nipple drinker like a rabbit bottle but for runty mice. I snag a few and stuff their beaks into the end so they get water, then set them and it down next to each other. They usually figure this out in a matter of minutes and teach the others. They get the trough back at night until the stupid ones have caught on ( a couple days).
By day 8 or so, I introduce a full size rabbit bottle the same way. Same mechanism, just bigger… same couple days learning curve. Around 13 days I start with the horizontal drinking nipples on a small bucket. Ya get the idea. They’re ready for the red horizontal nipple by the time they go outside at 14-17 days.
Where I could use help (that’s expansive, but I mean just on this issue 😎) is finding some bigger reservoirs using that tiny runty mouse sized ball nipple. That thing holds <4oz and will be depleted by 10 chicks in a couple hours. Using six for a large hatch is not even really feasible, not to mention a pain in …
I can’t find anything bigger using that size ball nipple. Can you?

Attachments

• 2D5604A8-6100-4C71-A456-3686DF67D4C2.jpeg
    2D5604A8-6100-4C71-A456-3686DF67D4C2.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 21
Can you find something with the same size opening you can just attach the nipple/lid to? Take it to a pet shop and try see if it fits on some of the bigger ones maybe?

It’s a different size and different thread than the bigger bottles. Random bottles of pretty much any original purpose are not gonna have a cap that small, so if there’s anything out there that suits, it’s likely made specifically for this purpose in the pet industry.

I’m really considering trying to cut and caulk the ends of these little bottles onto something bigger. But that seems like work, so I’m hoping someone knows about the the suitable product that I can’t find.

I’m a year into this with quail now. I’m starting to get the processes refined. Teaching them to drink a few different ways at stages of their growth is in the playbook. They start with a gravity trough under a mason jar; pebbles for the first day or two, then without. Around day 4 or 5 I introduce this tiny ball nipple drinker like a rabbit bottle but for runty mice. I snag a few and stuff their beaks into the end so they get water, then set them and it down next to each other. They usually figure this out in a matter of minutes and teach the others. They get the trough back at night until the stupid ones have caught on ( a couple days).
By day 8 or so, I introduce a full size rabbit bottle the same way. Same mechanism, just bigger… same couple days learning curve. Around 13 days I start with the horizontal drinking nipples on a small bucket. Ya get the idea. They’re ready for the red horizontal nipple by the time they go outside at 14-17 days.
Where I could use help (that’s expansive, but I mean just on this issue 😎) is finding some bigger reservoirs using that tiny runty mouse sized ball nipple. That thing holds <4oz and will be depleted by 10 chicks in a couple hours. Using six for a large hatch is not even really feasible, not to mention a pain in …
I can’t find anything bigger using that size ball nipple. Can you?
I would take the cap with the ball nipple to a hardware store so you can test what size and thread type it is. Then you may be able to find a connector it would fit on that you could screw into the side of a bigger container. If you explain what you are trying to do maybe they can suggest some products.

Back
Top Bottom