Water system

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
I need a water system that doesn't drench my brooder in a hour after use. I have to clean it out SO MUCH. It's crazy.

I have a bucket with water cups and they still manage to get water EVERY WHERE. Someone has to have invented a mess free system that also allows the baby chicks that are with them drink too

They are! Ducklings are probably the messiest thing around! Honestly, letting the mother brood them is probably the best idea. BUT, since that's not an option, I know Miss Lydia has a trick that works well:

Place a tray with raised sides down, and put the water and food dishes on this tray with a puppy pad or a bit of shavings. For the water dish, use a lidded container that you cut holes in so the ducklings can dunk their heads in but not make as much of a mess.

If you have more than 4 duckling you should have more than one of these. IMG_2627.jpeg

I used a plastic container with lid and holes cut in the lid too. I put it on a cookie sheet to catch any spills but when we had ducklings, I had to do cleanings multiple times a day to minimize wetness and smell. It was A LOT of work. As the ducklings grew, I had to use larger and larger containers. I was so happy when they finally graduated to going outside. It's so much easier with chicks/chickens. The ducks I have currently...I got as adults. I love ducklings but they are super messy.

I know this is not my first time I think this is number four of brooding and I still haven't perfected it!

But I'm wanting to brood more often and think about selling so I'm like ... This has to stop.

I tried that with a container and one got stuck inside!!! Lol they are crazy. When can they go outside?! It's not soon enough! When they go outside I stop leaving water in the brooder.

But alas, I'm not there yet. It feels too far away 😂

I have a old dog crate tray and I was thinking of adding hardware cloth so the water falls through and then no mess? I just don't know how to do that

They are! Ducklings are probably the messiest thing around! Honestly, letting the mother brood them is probably the best idea. BUT, since that's not an option, I know Miss Lydia has a trick that works well:

Place a tray with raised sides down, and put the water and food dishes on this tray with a puppy pad or a bit of shavings. For the water dish, use a lidded container that you cut holes in so the ducklings can dunk their heads in but not make as much of a mess.
I think that's why they are so much cuter so you can get over what a mess they are.

Back
Top Bottom