water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vthomeschoolmom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. vthomeschoolmom

vthomeschoolmom New Egg

May 27, 2010
    I have a watering thing for my chicks. It is a quart jar that screws into a delivery mechanism. When they were just born, I was told to put little marble like things in the water so the chicks don't fall in and drown. They chicks are 4 or so weeks old now. Are they old enough not to drown in the watering thing now? I would think so. I have to pick the pine shavings out of the dang thing a couple of times a day. It gets old!

Thanks

S

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I take the marbles out after a few days. They'll be fine without them now that they're four weeks [​IMG]

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, the drowning stage is definately over! [​IMG] You could try placing your water up on a few bricks to elevate it from the shavings level. This will help dramatically in the number in shavings making it into the water.

4. vthomeschoolmom

vthomeschoolmom New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Nevermind... I just looked at them. Their heads are too big to drown in that teeny thing of water. Thanks!

S

5. vthomeschoolmom

vthomeschoolmom New Egg

May 27, 2010
    mmmm bricks. Good idea! Not having to pick the stupid shavings out would be great. The sweet little cuties are currently enjoying the hot outdoors. They are pecking cheerfully.

Thanks for your help!

S

6. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    bricks! how easy would that be! lord knows how many times ive gone and dug out the shavings! goodness, what a easy/great idea! LOL thanks so much

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I have begun putting the waterers on large wide blocks in the brooder. The chicks hop up on the block to drink. It really helps keep shavings out of the water and it give the chicks something to do. Hop up
    Hop down
    Hop up
    Hop down

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I use bricks as well and it works great!!

9. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    you might try nipples, I use them from day one, no shavings in the water and no wet spots, I get mine at farm teck, but other places have them now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by