WaterCup issue

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Doodle's Dad, May 24, 2017.

1. Doodle's Dad

Doodle's Dad New Egg

May 24, 2017
    We have chicken water cup drinker screwed into a 5 gallon container. The chickens still find ways to get their poop in the watercup even though it is placed on a cinder block. Suggestions??

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Put a little martini drink umbrella in the cup...:lau

3. Ljc01

Ljc01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    Maybe put them up a little higher. I am not having that problem. Putting in cup waters was the best thing I did in my coop because they stay clean and the birds use them.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have not had a poop problem in mine either. Maybe I have mine higher too.

5. LDumale

LDumale Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2015
    Two things you can try: Position the bucket just underneath a section of the coop so that there is not enough room for the chickens to roost on top of the bucket. If the cinder block makes it too tall to fit underneath, try 2-3 9" or 9 1/2" pavers to lower it slightly (I'm using 2 pavers). Or, fashion a cone out of galvanized flashing material to fit over the bucket, using simple metal "hooks" to hold it one (3 short strips of a metal hangar bent 90degrees on both ends 1/4" in opposite directions, to fit into small holes drilled into the side bucket near the top & into the bottom edge of the cone.) [My California Whites are high-flyers, so just raising the bucket higher didn't work.] Hope this is helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by