Waterer breeds mosquitoes.

I use a 4 ft length of 4 inch PVC, with a glued cap on the bottom and a loose cap on the top. I have "Backyard flock drinking cups". I take one gallon of water every morning when I open the coop, to top it off. The only drawback I have ever seen is, despite what the company says, where the cup screws into the PVC, it tended to leak. A little silicon helped that.
Of course, I haven't wintered it over yet, so we'll see how that goes.

No leaks, no skeeters, clean it a couple times per year, and only need to add water every few weeks for 5 chickens.
IMG_2230.JPG

Your title caught my eye. I have a waterer like that and it is the only one I have that ALWAYS gets mosquito larvae in it. I would have to dump it every day in order to keep the larvae out and that kind of defeats the purpose for me having it. The ebb and flow of the vacuum brings the larvae in where they hatch. I think the oil will help. I’m gonna try it. I hate mosquitoes.

View attachment 1894484 I use this one it’s a 3 gallon I have 6 of them they work great. You do need to put the little cap on to fill than take off and open lid till you fill the pan then tighten the lid and it works automatically till water is gone never had a problem with it or bugs.
This one IS the exact waterer I have and I too have the larvae problem.

You sure they're mosquitos and not drain flies?
Either way, the only thing to help a waterer that large would be mosquito dunks.
They are safe for water consumption and they work.
A whole one would be overkill, you can quarter the dunk and get four treatments from 1 dunk.
Can you find them at TCS?

Back
Top Bottom