Waterer for keets

Mine's sand too, but they get poo on their feet and track it into the water in like 2 seconds. Messy little things. :gig
They're keets. Keets are far worse than chicks about keeping their feet clean. Even adult guineas aren't good about keeping their feet clean.

I don't seem to have a problem with my keets walking in their water.

They're keets. Keets are far worse than chicks about keeping their feet clean. Even adult guineas aren't good about keeping their feet clean.

Mine aren't exactly walking - they're like popcorn kernels, lol! Pop Pop Pop all over the place. Which results in Poop Poop Poop all over the place! :lau

Mine aren't exactly walking - they're like popcorn kernels, lol! Pop Pop Pop all over the place. Which results in Poop Poop Poop all over the place! :lau
Bigger = less problems. 4'x4' brooder = 16 sq. ft. minus the area taken up by the waterer and feeder. Both are in the cool zone as the brooder is big enough to have a heated zone and an unheated area.

Bigger = less problems. 4'x4' brooder = 16 sq. ft. minus the area taken up by the waterer and feeder. Both are in the cool zone as the brooder is big enough to have a heated zone and an unheated area.
Mine are in a flight cage that is 3ft x 2 feet, connected to a storage tote, which is about 18 inches x 2 feet, connected to a bucket on its side which is... about the size of a bucket, lol. The bucket is just their sleep area, but the combo of the other 2 give them quite a lot of room. I'm working on exchanging the tote+bucket for a large wire dog crate, just have to find wire nippers to make them a hardware cloth floor and then I'm in business, lol! They were SUPPOSED to be out in the coop with their broody chicken 'mama' but she rejected them so I'm making do with what I can, lol! :)

So here's what I did. I took a plastic food container (used to be protein powder) that's a little bigger around than a mason jar, and a little taller than the mason jar. I used a hole saw to cut round holes about as big as the holes in a chick feeder around the sides. Then I filled up a mason jar with water and flipped it upside down inside the food container. The water sits at a level just below the openings on the sides, and I am hoping it'll be impossible for them to get their little feet or behinds into there to foul it. And it'll stay full all day long! And now I'm planning to do the same thing for feeders, bc they make a HUGE mess with their food as well. By the time I get these guys all set up, they'll be too big to use all their stuff, hahah!!!
I did similar for wee ones as a feeder- with a lidded food container, cut the holes, used silicone funnels that I cut to shape like those 5 gal bucket feed inserts. Works better for bigger keets, little ones just walked in. :gig

Adults are horrible about keeping their feet clean- and I scoop poop daily, sometimes twice.. BUT- they're always nice and clean after free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom