Waterer for the winter...

CCtheflockboss

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
Please let me know which waterer you use in the winter — we are in Massachusetts, so does get below 0* occassionally, so need something heated. I had a huge steel waterer and had hoped to buy heated base for it, but turns out the steel waterer filled, I can’t carry from hose up to coop when full. And in winter we won’t be able to use hose and it is just too big for bringing inside into kitchen sink. Other ideas please???

I use rubber bowls and buckets here in Wisconsin. Either I bash them out, or turn them upside down in the sun to melt out. I refill it with warm or hot water mixed with some snow if it's available. I carry out in a plastic gallon watering can.

They do sell plastic heated waterers that can be top filled so you can top it off as needed. They are a bit pricey though. You can just buy the top fill ones and put it on the heated base. Fill as necessary.

I use Galvanized waterers, a 2 and a 3 gallon on a heated base.
I find the 3 gallon heavy, but the 2 gallon is easy for me to carry.
I lift and tilt the waterers every morning to clean debris from trough. I do a thorough cleaning weekly, but it can be filled right on the heated base with a couple of gallon jugs if needed between cleanings.
20191207_092057_resized.jpg

GC

I use rubber bowls and buckets here in Wisconsin. Either I bash them out, or turn them upside down in the sun to melt out. I refill it with warm or hot water mixed with some snow if it's available. I carry out in a plastic gallon watering can.

They do sell plastic heated waterers that can be top filled so you can top it off as needed. They are a bit pricey though. You can just buy the top fill ones and put it on the heated base. Fill as necessary.
Thank you for this idea. I definitely would like a top fill one!!

I use Galvanized waterers, a 2 and a 3 gallon on a heated base.
I find the 3 gallon heavy, but the 2 gallon is easy for me to carry.
I lift and tilt the waterers every morning to clean debris from trough. I do a thorough cleaning weekly, but it can be filled right on the heated base with a couple of gallon jugs if needed between cleanings.View attachment 2331529
GC
Thank you for providing this information and a picture. I have the same waterer, and have tried to fill it right in the coop, but every time I put the lid on, it seems to overflow getting the shavings wet, so I haven't quite figured it out yet!

Please let me know which waterer you use in the winter — we are in Massachusetts, so does get below 0* occassionally, so need something heated. I had a huge steel waterer and had hoped to buy heated base for it, but turns out the steel waterer filled, I can’t carry from hose up to coop when full. And in winter we won’t be able to use hose and it is just too big for bringing inside into kitchen sink. Other ideas please???
I’m from Massachusetts too. Got a heated waterer from Essex County Coop. The experienced chicken person said she had used this for years and loves it. Well, as a new guy to chickens I believed her. So I haven’t tried it yet but I bought it last winter when it got down to 5 F and it did prevent the water from freezing.

Attachments

• CD55E2E0-514D-4420-9DFD-E834B66B5262.jpeg
    CD55E2E0-514D-4420-9DFD-E834B66B5262.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom