Waterer for the winter...

I’m from Massachusetts too. Got a heated waterer from Essex County Coop. The experienced chicken person said she had used this for years and loves it. Well, as a new guy to chickens I believed her. So I haven’t tried it yet but I bought it last winter when it got down to 5 F and it did prevent the water from freezing.
thank you!

*** Has anyone tried using heat tape around PVC pipes for waterer that doesn't need to be plugged in for heat? my husband works as a construction project manager and he says they use heat tape around pipe to keep them from freezing in the winter -- we may try this option!

Hey neighbor. We are located in southeast Mass. We use a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. 250 watt stock tank heater. To fill I bring a one gallon pitcher out every few days. No heavy lifting.

Attachments

• 20200915_165848.jpg
    20200915_165848.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 13
Hiya! Thank you for this idea!
Here is the semi-daily feed water routine. It is a pitcher of water, feed, and a snack. I give them the snack (cracked corn or scratch) to do a visual of all the girls. Last night we spotted a fox. So wanted to make sure they were all still with us.

Feeding and watering this way. helps to make sure they have what they need. In the winter, can make sure the Horizontal Nipples are in working order.

Attachments

• 20200916_065521.jpg
    20200916_065521.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 8
  • temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 9
Here is the semi-daily feed water routine. It is a pitcher of water, feed, and a snack. I give them the snack (cracked corn or scratch) to do a visual of all the girls. Last night we spotted a fox. So wanted to make sure they were all still with us.

Feeding and watering this way. helps to make sure they have what they need. In the winter, can make sure the Horizontal Nipples are in working order.
Thank you so very much for this information, and the pictures!

Back
Top Bottom