waterer help please

I was thinking about a small electric hot water heater and running insulated PEX underground crom the hot side of the water heater to one end of the PVC pipe nipple waterer as the input the running another insulated piece of pex on the other end of the PCVbpipe nipple waterer back to the cold water input on the hot water tank. but I'm still concerned with the nipple stems freezing, cracking, leaking... and besides I would need to cut the pressure way down... or I'm sure I would blow the nipple seals right out.

The idea was to let water pressure do the work of a pump. But I'm scraping this idea also.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a small electric hot water heater and running insulated PEX underground crom the hot side of the water heater to one end of the PVC pipe nipple waterer as the input the running another insulated piece of pex on the other end of the PCVbpipe nipple waterer back to the cold water input on the hot water tank. but I'm still concerned with the nipple stems freezing, cracking, leaking... and besides I would need to cut the pressure way down... or I'm sure I would blow the nipple seals right out.

The idea was to let water pressure do the work of a pump. But I'm scraping this idea also.

If you had a closed system like this there would be no pressure. You'd get some warming through the thermal difference but likely not enough.

None. The rabbits drank all winter. The chickens are currently using the same nipples but they're just gravity fed from a 5 gallon regular bucket until it gets cold.

Are your nipples on runner pipes or attached directly to the main pipe?

I only have one pipe 4" diameter with a cap on one end for filling.

Last edited:
I can't find pictures of mine right now. But here is the thread that I learned it from. And I forgot to mention the thermocube. It starts the fish heater when temps get down to 40f.

Also, I skipped the pump. The heater I got (petsmart on clearance) seems to keep the water warm enough without being circulated. But then, I am in central Indiana and we don't go below zero too often.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-very-easy-heated-waterer-for-under-20-bucks

You can click the links in my signature for cold temperature suggestions.

Works for my situation very well.

I'm not seeing your signature...

Last edited:
I have a 2 gallon galvanized waterer. I will buy a heated base for this winter, supposedly good down to 10% Fahrenheit.
It gets down to the teens below zero here for several nights a year.
I keep the waterer in the coop 4x5x5h with 5 chickens, so I think with the chickens and the headed base, It'll be good.
But if not I have a heat lamp on a dimmer over the waterer, I'll turn it up only as much as need be if at all.
I grew up with about 35 chickens and 10 to 12 ducks for 21 years. Having to deal with frozen water several times a day. No I don't want to deal with that anymore. GC

Back
Top Bottom