waterer ideas

agreenaway

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
What are you guys using for drinkers? I bought a galvanized one from tractor supply maybe a year ago and it is rusted already
1f620.png
since I'm guessing rust isn't that great for consumption it is time for a upgrade. I have chickens in the same pen also so it needs to be something ok for them.

I use a large stainless steel dog dish with rocks on the bottom (to prevent tipping -- it would also prevent chickens from drowning), and a two gallon bucket (if I kept chickens with the ducks, I would put a large stone in that, too, to allow ducks to dip their heads in, but not allow chickens to accidentally get stuck inside it). If I were to keep chickens and ducks together, I would also provide the chickens with their own clean water somewhere the ducks would be unlikely to muck it up -- my chickens will drink muddy water, but they prefer it clean and cool.

LOL! Somewhere the ducks wont muck it up! LOL!!!
My limited experience says there is no such place on the planet.
No matter how many pots, pools waterers or buckets I give them they always find and muck in the dogs bucket.
They have to work at it but they are clever little birds, they get 'er done.
There are such different needs for and clenliness levels of chickens and ducks I can't imagine trying to house them together. Good luck!

LOL! Somewhere the ducks wont muck it up! LOL!!!
My limited experience says there is no such place on the planet.
No matter how many pots, pools waterers or buckets I give them they always find and muck in the dogs bucket.
They have to work at it but they are clever little birds, they get 'er done.
There are such different needs for and clenliness levels of chickens and ducks I can't imagine trying to house them together. Good luck!

Chickens are generally great at walking up relatively steep ramps and flying upward in restricted spaces. Ducks, in my limited experience, aren't usually that great at either one. So if the chickens had their water up high, the ducks would be less likely to get into it, especially if they had plenty of water down below where it was easy for them to mess it up.

Back
Top Bottom